Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 312B hydraulic pump interchangeability

I544CWARNER · 2025-03-27 19:21

I have a 1998 cat 312B serial 9HR00818 and was wondering if the hydraulic pump (main one straight off the motor bellhousing) would interchange with a 1995 cat 312 serial 7DK02236? Visually they look the same. If anybody has any input that would be great, thanks!

Replies10
  1. #1Nige2025-03-27 20:02

    Is there a data plate on the pump from 9HR00818 with a Part Number.? If not do you have a Parts Manual where you can look up the Part Number of the pump.? The 9HR machine is grey market and so no parts/service information for it resides in the online system. The 7DK machine is also grey market but I have a Parts Manual for that one. If you don't have a Parts Manual you really ought to get one. The Cat Publication reference is XJBP7635 and it can be downloaded from the cat Publications web site. Actually here's a paper one on eBay

  2. #2I544CWARNER2025-03-27 20:27

    Would you happen to know the part number for the 7DK machine? I will get a parts manual for my machine, and can compare from there. Thanks a ton

  3. #3Tyler d4c2025-03-27 20:39

    Nige use 9gr perfix instead. Same machine as far as I could ever research. I always use 9gr and the same serial for ordering for our 9hr machine

  4. #4Tyler d4c2025-03-27 20:40

    Hard to beat a old B

  5. #5Nige2025-03-27 20:42

    The 7DK (312-A) pump shows as Part Number 7I-8265. I can't see that Part Number listed anywhere for a 312B so I don't hold out much hope it will fit.

  6. #6Nige2025-03-27 20:43

    Check the link I posted above. I found him a genuine OEM 9HR Parts Manual.

  7. #7Tyler d4c2025-03-27 20:47

    I skipped right over that. My mistake

  8. #8I544CWARNER2025-03-31 17:49

    well in case anyone wants to know, or somehow happens to find themselves in my exact same situation, these pumps will in fact interchange. On paper they’re completely different part numbers, and do not interchange, which is only kind of true, because you need to adapt a handful of things to make it work. Both pumps were the K3V63DT. In order to make it work, you have to put an adapter to make the sensor screw into the top of the pump (picture 1) You then have to change the orientation of the pilot pump by removing 4 socket head cap screws and adjusting the housing then reinstalling them (picture 2). And lastly you need to change the one larger fitting on the back of the pilot pump (picture 3). If you do all of this the rest of the pump is fine and works just as well, so they are “essentially” interchangeable. Hopefully this helps someone sometime.

  9. #9Nige2025-03-31 20:31

    Excellent information. Thanks for the feedback.

  10. #10Gary Layton2025-03-31 22:16

    You took a deep dive....glad it worked out. Good follow-up.