Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 312b pump loading engine.

Tyler d4c · 2019-08-24 13:43

The front pump will load the engine with any function being used. It only does on small movements of the controls. At full movement it seems to destroke the pump. In short it seems the pump over strokes right off the bat. Serial is 9hr00999. Its grey market 9gr seems to be the us equivalent. Any help is appreciated.

Replies39
  1. #1Tyler d4c2019-08-24 13:44

    Forgot to add the proportional reducing valve is functioning properly

  2. #2TVA2019-08-24 15:26

    Check to see if Powet shift pressure increases on the front pump together with back pump. Otherwise it’s just sticking spool in front pump regulator. The B should have A8VO in it. You can try and look up the control schematic and test ports locations on line! Worn cradle or leaking servo piston will do that too. It’s been a while and I don’t remember if that pump has orifices in that line which can be plugged and cause that! I know that pumps that on C series does have orifices!

  3. #3TVA2019-08-24 16:13

    Well! Looks like I was wrong! Does yours have KAWASAKI in it?

  4. #4Tyler d4c2019-08-24 17:16

    It's got a Mitsubishi. I was thinking it is something in the regulator. We will operate on it tomorrow

  5. #5Tyler d4c2019-08-24 17:23

    It has this style pump

  6. #6TVA2019-08-24 17:39

    That’s a Kawasaki K3V! The older ones had Power Shift tubes on the outside, if it’s your case then first check weather the tube that goes to front pump has an restriction in it. It’s actually not that hard to swap regulators on that one ( just make sure that feedback fork will catch the pin ) and see if problem will move with the regulator. Kawasaki calls Powershift “ Total Horsepower Control “

  7. #7Tyler d4c2019-08-24 18:08

    I'm not quite sure what you mean by the power shift tubes on the outside. Heres a picture of what I got

  8. #8TVA2019-08-24 18:21

    Nope! You gonna have to make sure that there’s no restriction between the cavity of that solenoid and pumps regulators, especially front one!

  9. #9Tyler d4c2019-08-24 18:24

    We are doing of the passage for the power shift pressure right.

  10. #10TVA2019-08-24 18:38

    Yep! The theory is because you said it does de stroke on full movements, so the Power Shift pressure applies longer and have time to overcome the restriction! Or, did you checked the correlation between short movements of joysticks and the pilot pressure for the whole machine? Maybe something funky going on there? Because your Power Shift feeds of off pilot system.

  11. #11TVA2019-08-24 18:45

    What do you have on front pump? Boom and bucket? Check weather if pilot pressure drops when you short stroke that joystick

  12. #12Tyler d4c2019-08-24 19:01

    Boom bucket and right track on the front pump. Pilot pressure does drop 10 psi or so immediately then comes right back. Seems normal to and I have verified I have power shift pressure coming to the front pump regulator. Then help is much appreciated.

  13. #13TVA2019-08-24 19:07

    Does it do it on travel too? Does it do it on only one function? Like only on boom or only on bucket? Does the pilot pressure drop when you operate the other joystick?!

  14. #14Tyler d4c2019-08-24 19:12

    Yes does it on travel too. Pilot pressure does the same thing with the functions for the other pump

  15. #15TVA2019-08-24 19:34

    Then it is probably not your culprit! 10 psi is not a problem if measured with good quality gauge with right resolution 0-600 psi. This reminded me about the thread here: guy had 320B LL and he was saying he that he had no stand by pressure at all! Well at 0 stand by you start thinking about stripped splines, bad coupling or both pumps completely shut! Well turned out his gauges was bad, and he did have 200 psi stand by, and that made world of difference! Because now you think main relief! And that’s what it was! So quality of instruments and righ resolution is very important!

  16. #16Tyler d4c2019-08-24 19:36

    Yes I'm think the pump control needs to come off and get a going though. Unless theres something I'm seriously over looking.

  17. #17TVA2019-08-24 19:45

    Well! Give us a new information on Monday and me, and people quietly reading this thread will start brainstorming and get to the bottom of it! When you will have your regulators off - pay attention to that fork!

  18. #18Tyler d4c2019-08-24 19:49

    Will do

  19. #19Tyler d4c2019-08-24 20:30

    Will do. But I did a little more testing. I teed a gauge in to the sense lines coming from the pump and found the line to the front pump has 900 or 1000 psi in it till a control is moved to full movement. Where as the other sense line has zero or close to it. Then when the control is moved it goes up to 500 or so then drops right off again. Is this a cause of the problem or the result of it.

  20. #20TVA2019-08-24 20:35

    You talking NFC lines or Power Shift?

  21. #21Tyler d4c2019-08-24 20:42

    The NFC lines that go from the main control valve to the pump.

  22. #22TVA2019-08-24 21:13

    Well! NFC. At neutral supposed to be equal or slightly lower then stand by, and both pumps supposed to have the same! And that’s supposed to be around 400 psi! If you pretty sure it is Mitsubishi that might be something different, but I doubt it! There should not be 900-1000 Psi at neutral anywhere in that system!

  23. #23TVA2019-08-24 21:13

    What is your pilot pressure?

  24. #24Tyler d4c2019-08-24 21:19

    590 If I'm thinking right spec is 595+-29

  25. #25TVA2019-08-24 21:21

    It’s right pilot pressure for CAT! What about you stand by?

  26. #26Tyler d4c2019-08-24 21:27

    Some where between 1100and1200 I can remember exactly at the moment I should have made a list. That's for your patience.

  27. #27TVA2019-08-24 21:30

    If your stand by on front pump is 1000 Psi then most likely someone was messing with minimum displacement set screw! Or the bracket is not tight on Servo piston and backed off or something else is seriously wrong with that regulator! It’s too high of a stand by pressure caused by way too much stand by flow!!!

  28. #28TVA2019-08-24 21:32

    And the rear one screwed up Also!

  29. #29Tyler d4c2019-08-24 21:36

    What should the pressure be? I also for got to state in the original post that at time the pump would stay stroked after you let go of the control. The Stand by of the other pump was also 1100 or 1200

  30. #30TVA2019-08-24 21:46

    Stand by should be 380-400, at least for C series, and I don’t think it is much different for B series! If you have the same stand by for the back one, but zero NFC, then remove and plug the nfc line and see if you have the same pressure as stand by! If you do - then pumps regulator dumps the stand by flow to case! If not, then you need take NFC relieve valve in Main Control valve and look what the hell is going on there!

  31. #31Tyler d4c2019-08-24 21:54

    I've checked both nfc relieve valves both looked good springs looked good orfacies clear even switched them had the same result. I'll get back on it in the morning a see where I get

  32. #32TVA2019-08-24 21:54

    With the rear one having zero NFC pressure she is the one having too much flow! And pumps interconnected between regulators! I would start with solving the back pumps issues, and after that is fixed and you still having original problem - proceed to fix that! Basically if you have 400 or close to it on NFC port - your pump is at minimum displacement! If you have zero NFC your pump is at full flow ( unless Power Shift destrokes her )!

  33. #33TVA2019-08-24 21:55

    Check for flapper in NFC hose!

  34. #34Tyler d4c2019-08-24 21:58

    I will that never cross my mine costed a few brake calipers before

  35. #35TVA2019-08-24 22:03

    Well good night sir! I had a hard day, moving, brush cleaning along the chain link fence and grass trimming of my 5 acres!

  36. #36Tyler d4c2019-08-25 08:26

    Front pump stand by is 1200 psi with the nfc line plugged. The book I have for the machine doesn't call out the minimum displacement screw. What would happen if the fork is out of place

  37. #37TVA2019-08-25 08:56

    Actually you supposed to plug rear pumps NFC line to find out why you have no pressure there! Either it’s leaking out or not even getting there! With fork out of place the pump will not know at what angle the swash plate is! And the whole Torque Limiting ( It has bunch of different names: TVC, Power Shift, etc.) like a boxer or a fighter who just gotten KO wouldn’t know where it’s at and do crazy and goofy things! Today I having an event, and not going to able to hang out on here! But you seem like bright fella and can figure it out, this should help: http://www.madillequipment.com/dealerportal/Madill Portal Files/MASTER PARTS MANUAL 800 - 2007-11/Section 11/K3V112DT-165R-manual Section 11 Service Info.pdf 953 and 955 is displacement limit screws! And one thing you got to remember is - pumps mounted back to back, and “flipped” in relationships to each other!

  38. #38TVA2019-08-25 09:14

    953 is your minimum! Last time I’ve seen too high of a stand by flow was 531 was loose on 532 and backed off, it’s supposed to be all the way to that bigger diameter shoulder and Lock-tited!

  39. #39Tyler d4c2019-08-25 13:26

    Hope you have a good time. I've seem to got it fixed. Pull the control off the pump. Pulled it apart cleaned it up reassembled it and presto it works must have had something sticking in it. Thanks again for the help.