Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 312B Track parts

mrh1966 ยท 2012-05-08 06:29

Hi all............I have a Cat 312B 1998 s/n 9hr02634 on an island in the Bahamas.............my problem is the one track is worn to the point that some of the linkages have broken on one side in a couple of places meaning they could break totally and the machine becoming unusable........I have found a couple of second hand tracks in the UK and can get them sent over............While I am doing this I am going to replace the sprockets, the part numbers for these are 417472..........it has a single top roller on each side, the one on the side of the broken track is worn quite badly and also does not sit straight, I am having trouble finding the part number for these!!!!!!!!...........it looks like it is connected to the chassis by a single large bolt.........i have pictures on my phone.........if anyone has the part numbers I would be very grateful.......thank you in advance for any comments

Replies9
  1. #1Nige2012-05-08 07:14

    I'll dig you up some Part Numbers for your carrier roller. It may take a while - internet problems. Are the replacement sprockets you're going to fit new or used..? I would also look at the track rollers (underneath the track frame) if I was you. If the former tracks are in the state you describe then the bottom rollers will also be shot. While you're at it take a look at the front idlers also.

  2. #2JGS Parts2012-05-08 07:19

    yeah mate like nige said my SIS is also playing up so having issues finding the part numbers but if the chains are in that state seems like you might need a whole new set of UC mate.

  3. #3mrh19662012-05-08 07:35

    Thanks Nige and JGS Parts..........you are probably right about the bottom rollers.....part numbers for these would be much appreciated.....it is all on the one side that is gone........i think the idlers are ok from what i can tell.....problem is getting the stuff there.....rollers/sprockets will have to be bought in the US and shipped over but could be purchased in the UK and put in the container with the tracks.........depends on how much it costs in both countries....thanks again

  4. #4mrh19662012-05-08 07:38

    yes sprockets will be new..........any problems by doing this?..........

  5. #5Nige2012-05-08 07:40

    If one side's gone the other can't be far behind .............

  6. #6JGS Parts2012-05-08 07:45

    well mate tell me this is the machine running full time or not so much? as i was going to say are you getting genuine parts or aftermarket parts?

  7. #7mrh19662012-05-08 07:51

    The other side is very good..........everything seems to be moving/working fine............they may have dropped something on the tracks to bend the top roller down before we got it...........this caused the track not to allign straight.....thus causing excess wear on the one track.........machine is a bit beaten up and has not been looked after......when I got it I gave it a good service etc....runs well still very strong.........just the track issue....it has about 4300hrs on clock

  8. #8mrh19662012-05-08 07:56

    The machine runs full time when I go out there, which is about every 4-6 weeks.........i stay for week.........so it works flat out for 1 week every 4-6 weeks....I travel from the Uk to drive this machine!!!!!!..................I would use genuine or aftermarket, depends which are more available at the time of purchase.........

  9. #9Nige2012-05-08 17:41

    Mate, you'd better PM me with an e-mail address. This is going to get messy because your machine was originally built for the Japan-only market (ISJ). We need to figure out what is the equivalent machine marketed outside Japan (OSJ). Apparently the OSJ options include 2NS, 3FS, 8JR, & 9GR prefixes. Of these only the 2NS & 9GR prefix have 6 Track Rollers and 1 upper carrier roller, the other prefixes have 7 Track Rollers & 2 Carrier Rollers so we can discount them. Working on a 9GR prefix your sprocket comes out the same number as you mentioned - 4I-7472. If you need any bolts they are an 8T-7338 (M16 x 45mm long, grade 8) - 15 per sprocket. If you are fitting a used track group that is only lightly worn on the bushes & links a new sprocket would probably be the best idea. However if your used track is well worn then it would take out a new sprocket PDQ and you'd be really wasting your money. Do you have anyone who can take pictures of both sides of the machine showing the sprocket teeth, the track links, and the upper & rollers that you could post here..? If we could see what you are up against we could better advise you what is your best option. Carrier roller is a 4I-7345 Roller Group. The bolt for the clamp for the carrier roller is an 8T-5878 (M24 x 80mm long). 1 bolt per roller. Track roller is a 151-9747 Roller Group. Bolts are 7X-2555 (M16 x 80mm long) and washer 8T-4122. 4 of each per roller. Now tracks is where things really get interesting. Some have 46 links, others have 43. Do you know how many links yours has ..? I suspect it will be 43 bearing in mind you only have 6 Track & 1 Carrier Roller but we need to confirm. Once we have the number of links identified we come to the track shoe width. The options are 500mm , 600mm, 700mm, & 770mm. What does yours have..? I guess what I'm saying is that you don't really want to be shipping something all the way over from UK unless you are sure it'll fit before you toss it into a container ..........