Good morning all, I have a Cat 312C year 2003. The other day the throttle cable melted as someone had placed it through the wrong hole and it was near the exhaust. I have replaced the throttle control motor and the cable with a used one. New one was a staggering £1,400 +VAT The new throttle motor and cable work but i believe it needs to be calibrated. Currently it works but does not go up through the revs incrementally. Have found posts on the subject but nothing about how to calibrate them? Thanks in advance
I think this will cover your machine, but on the off-chance that it doesn't (see Pages 1-6 for machines that are covered) come back with the actual S/N. The procedure for replacing the governor and setting the cables is also included because you ought to confirm that you set it up correctly before attempting to do the governor calibration.
Thank you Nine that's much appreciated. Last daft question but how do you get into service mode on the C series? I know how to on the B series but have exhausted trying to find out on the C series. Thanks again James
This is what you need.
I have 314c without a display. How do you do calibration?
You need CAT ET to calibrate without Display
The calibration of this doesn't specify if the engine is to be running during the calibration or not. Anyone know for sure?
Engine running. The calibration procedure uses the engine speed sensor to set certain points on the engine speed range. Low Idle, High Idle, and various intermediate points. I agree the procedure does not spell it out clearly, I'm inferring it has to be running to achieve those set points.
Thank you Nige. I figured as much but wanted to make sure. I went out on this machine earlier this morning and decided to run the calibration first to see if any errors came up. It had a wire pitch #4 come up. The error explains that wire nut is installed too loose by pitch x. The corrective action is to tighten the accelerator cable by the displayed pitch number (4)……but there is no reference to what x actually is and what adjustment increment a 4 signifies. I did find a broken accelerator cable anchor on the back of the throttle motor so I couldn’t do anything else with it today. Cat wanted $1800 for that small motor, but I found a complete new unit with everything for a 1/5 of that cost. I’ll have that Monday morning. Is there an explanation of the error that is more descriptive in the procedures for adjustment? I’m unsure of what the wire pitch X is and how to adjust that as described in the corrective action.
It's the "pitch" of the thread on the adjuster. Refer to the top of Page 11 on the attachmentposted earlier.
I see the set up instructions. I think what’s confusing me is making a change in adjustment by “wire pitch X by 4”. What is that exactly? 4 what and which is X?
I guess I'm getting confused now because unless it's somewhere else the procedure I'm looking at makes no mention of "4".......
It’s that display you posted. It can be a positive or negative number between -9 and 9. Mine is a 4 which is a specific adjustment but it isn’t defined by what I’m seeing. So it’s saying “wire pitch 4”……and I have no clue what that is or how to adjust that. It seems the corrective action is very vague
OK, now it's making sense. If the number is positive you have to tighten the cable, if it is negative you have to loosen it. "X" is equal to the pitch of the thread on the adjuster assembly. So in your case "wire pitch 4" (positive 4) means tighten the cable by 4 turns of the adjusting nut.
Now THAT makes perfect sense! Thank you again! I’ll post results when I get the new assembly on.