I have a CAT 312CL SN CBA00323 that I purchased new and it has always had problems with one of the alternator bolts either falling out or breaking. The mounting bolt on the side away from the radiators would fall out routinely when the machine was new, like every 6 months or so, and then i started locktighting them in then they would break off eventually. I am thinking about just drilling though the casting where the alternator mounts and putting a solid bolt through with a nut on the end unless anyone can see a problem with that. Thanks!
Would kind of like to see a picture. By putting a solid bolt, will it be harder to replace if it breaks. Sounds like there was some type of design or engineering screw up. If it is constantly ruining bolts or loosening up, there may be other issues. Are we talking about dissimilar metals and the binding up in aluminum housing with steel bolt issues?
Ill try and take a good picture today. The set up is two bolts going through either side of the alternator with a bushing/spacer then threaded into a casting that is part of something else bolted to the engine. I don't think a solid bolt would cause a problem, plenty of room to go in from one side and the nut on the other end would not stick out anymore than the head of the opposing bolt as it is now.
If you go the way you are proposing you would need a spacer between the two "ears" of the alternator (or beteween the ears of the bracket, not sure which one goes inside the other) otherwise if you heave on the bolt too hard without something to heave against you could likely break an ear off something.
If there is too many threads sticking out past the end of the nut, the bolt will break. Will also break if the hardware, washers are indenting at all, or if the space between the ears of the alternator have slack in them, the bolt will cycle back and forth till it breaks. Is the bolt you are using stamped 8.8, 10.9, or 12.9. Have to see a couple pictures to be able to say better .
Yeah, there are spacers now between the alternator and the casting that it mounts too. So i would keep those, actually one is missing right now, but I would keep those and try and use a long shoulder bolt so that there is a shoulder not threads going through the casting and then lock nut it on the end so that it is snug but can still flex. I think mine must have had an imperfection in the threads on the cast portion on one side, since I have not heard about this being a widespread problem. Going to pull the counterwieght next week and see what I come up with. Do you think a 308E2CR will lift the counterweight?