Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 312E

9420pullpan ยท 2012-04-03 18:32

Found these last night.... link

Replies29
  1. #1JDOFMEMI2012-04-03 20:26

    Pity for a small machine such as that to have such p poor visibility out the rear. Usually they are working in tight quarters, and need all the visibility you can get to keep from hitting things. I fear that we are past the prime of equipment design and function when design is controlled by emissions, and everything else, including safety has to rate behind.

  2. #2DirtHauler2012-04-03 20:28

    At least it has the camera on the rear. I have not operated one equipped with a working camera on the counterweight. How much can you see with them?

  3. #3CM19952012-04-03 21:36

    I agree Jerry. These new designs are just horrible. I'm a Cat guy but I just don't see myself ever owning one of the E series, I'll take a C or D and rebuild it as long as I can.

  4. #4JDOFMEMI2012-04-03 22:49

    Same here CM. I also believe that there will be a premium price to pay for the older gear due to so many people wanting to do the same thing.

  5. #5CRAFT2012-04-03 22:55

    I don't know about what I see here ? ....I think I'd like to see it in person and run it first before I go and slam what I see here ...... I mounted a B/U camera on my BCat and just love it as well as trust it totally .....I think that camera is hell of an Idea ..... I mean I never really look out the back of my 312 anyhow ..... now as far as side and perifial vision goes ....hmmm .... the rear counter weight so high up kinda reminds me of the 320DLRR and that really wasn't vision impaired ..... what is gonna really p**S me off is if the machine is found in the wrong rate category as my 312 is .... it should be where the 140's are (such as the 314CLRR). ........ Gonna check them out ....cheers

  6. #69420pullpan2012-04-04 18:52

    I think that you will see more contractors looking at Cat Certified Rebuilds on more excavators due to the new design

  7. #7CM19952012-04-04 20:25

    I haven't seen any of the new excavators from the other major players, have they went the same route as Cat or do they have a different emission design that doesn't require such a bulky house? If the other manufacturer's have figured out a way to meet the new Tier standards with a more tradition house design, I think Cat may be in trouble with their excavator sales. Just my $.02.:cool2

  8. #8CRAFT2012-04-04 21:17

    When I checked out the Cat site last night I seen a few more of the "E's" ...hmmm seems they are all going that route ..... I do like the new Rad layout now, looks easier to keep clean ....uhmmm just wondering if they have catalitic converters as well as the urea liquid injection to meet the tier-Vl standards ?

  9. #9lake side bob2012-04-04 22:23

    What is that machine going to be priced at? $150K??? Price of new machines today is just nuts, including pickup trucks.

  10. #10hvy 1ton2012-04-05 01:51

    There's one pic of the Deere 160G up on their website, doesn't looks that much bigger than a 160D. Neither is Tier 4 Final. It's possible that cat changed their car bodies to fit T4F and deere has not, but i kinda doubt it. http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US/products/equipment/excavators/160g_lc/160g_lc.page?

  11. #11hvy 1ton2012-04-05 05:49

    Yep, that tire machine will come in real handy for excavators. :ban

  12. #12pafarmer2012-04-05 06:17

    Is this machine in PA. ? Where at ?

  13. #13CM19952012-04-05 06:31

    In the future, please don't quote an obvious spammer. Hit the report post (the little triangle with exclamation point on the bottom left) and a mod will take care of it.

  14. #14CM19952012-04-05 06:34

    Looks to me like the machine is sitting at a port and judging from the concrete pavers, I would say it's somewhere in Europe. How close am I Pullpan?

  15. #15Graham12012-04-05 07:49

    I've used a rear camera on a couple of machines and in my opinion it is much safer than trying to guess if there is anything in the blindspot close to the counterwieght. If the blade comes as standard that would be good.

  16. #16CRAFT2012-04-05 12:36

    Couldn't agree with you more about the camera .... as I stated before, the one I installed on my Bcat is awesome ... I live by it, especially at night when plowing and the back window is iced up or full of snow ..... there have been a TON of excavator accidents only caused by the counter weights swing path ..... alot of them the operator didn't even know they had hit something until a 180 was done .... once a guy has one it's just like you are using your rear view mirror in the p/u After looking at the spec sheet it shows that the blade is still an option, but I'd think that the popularity of these the dealers are ordering from the factory as if it was a standard feature ........ back when I bought my 312 A model it was barely an option, it was like guys were looking at them as to be only on the mini's ...... boy how things change !

  17. #179420pullpan2012-04-05 18:48

    Right on the $ the link is posted below pics on a foreign forum

  18. #189420pullpan2012-04-05 18:51

    I am surprised that other manufactures are not putting a 6 way blade on these size machines like the Kobelco BladeRunner. Seems like the customers that would purchase this machine to do general construction would benefit most by having the ability to grade all in one machine. my 2 cents

  19. #19JimBruce422012-04-05 22:30

    Hvy, I wish I could find, or remember where I read it... but when the Cat e-series was released I recall seeing it said that part of the reason for the giant rear, was just that. They were preparing for tier 4f engines now, so they wouldn't have to redesign the hood once again down the road.

  20. #20hvy 1ton2012-04-06 00:47

    Sorry bout that. I normally do, but that one was too good to pass up. I have no problem with my post being removed as well, if it would make it better. Yep, i remember reading the same thing about the E series Cats. I'm not sure if the same is true for the G series Deeres, and if not it's not a fair comparison. I do have a hard time believing that Deere is going to redesign all there excavators in another 2 years, but i've seen stranger things happen.

  21. #21eamon2012-04-07 20:10

    Hi pull pan, Just seen this tread, there was a big press release at the begining of March and asked about the 312e price, until i saw the photos.OMG how big is that rear end. i have being asking questions about the E series as we thought you guys in the USA would have been running them for 12 months, so have you any more news??? The only thing i can bring to the table is 308e will be delivered July/Aug.

  22. #22hvy 1ton2012-04-07 21:35

    I think everything smaller than the 336E has stayed D up until now.

  23. #23DGODGR2012-04-07 22:37

    I thought the Blade Runner was going to be the cat's ***...up until I ran them (both 190 & 150). It's great in theory but that blade has to stick way out there in order to be able to function correctly, and not hit the growsers. IMO it even makers it difficult to use the bucket to help steer. The other downside, IMO, is that the blade has to be very wide to keep the wide gauge of the excavator from tracking up the windrow if angling. I thought that the 150 was a better dozer than the 190 but the dipper/boom relationship (length of one in relation to the other) felt off to me. The 190 dozer blade was too wide. I thought that the extra weight of the machine would allow it to doze as much as a small finish dozer, say a D-5G, but it did not. Angling a fairly full blade would steer the unit, despite the nearly 50k# of weight. As far as I know they still make them so, obviously somebody must like them.

  24. #249420pullpan2012-04-08 08:12

    i have not run i would like to, thanks for the imput

  25. #25Bluetop Man2012-04-08 09:12

    A trackhoe operator knows what's behind the cab without looking. If he does not, you will be buying a lot of swing doors, or worse. A blade on a trackhoe seems like it would be in the way. Nice looking hoes, both the CAT and the Deere.

  26. #26DGODGR2012-04-08 09:52

    The blade on the 312 is not really in the way. It is only a straight backfill blade so it does not protrude very far in front of the growsers. I often run a mini (most all are equiped w/blade) and have found many advantages to having the backfill blade. Unfortunately the 312s I have run (all rentals) have all had the blade bent down on one side or the other.

  27. #27D&GExcavating2012-04-11 01:41

    I have to say I like the E-series except for the visibilty out the back window. Sometimes it's nice to be able to see out of it.

  28. #28kenwortht8002012-04-12 00:45

    Very poor viability and that body style looks goofy on a machine that small

  29. #29conawaylk2019-02-18 11:48

    I'm looking for a Electric schematic prefix part number SENR6237 or/and SENR6127 Any help would be appreciated. Thank You