Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 313 BSR Starter Replacement Counterweight Removal?? Really?

MotoMan ยท 2014-02-04 16:53

I have a 1998 CAT 313BSR Excavator. It has been a great machine. The starter has been on it's last legs for a bit. It finally died. One of my guys (not a mechanic) tried to get it out and was not able to. Had a CAT tech come out who spent 5 hours only to fail as well. Now the dealer is telling me that they have to remove the counterweight to remove the starter. I find that very hard to believe. Anyone with any experience with this?? Thanks for any insight.

Replies11
  1. #1rgl7262014-02-04 18:21

    Yes. You have to remove the counterweight before you can remove the starter. You need a 2.2 ton lift for that.

  2. #2MotoMan2014-02-04 18:22

    THANKS!! Any other tips or things that I should know?

  3. #3rgl7262014-02-04 18:26

    There are only 4 long bolts. You also need 2 hook eyes and 3/4 drive socket wrench. I forgot the head size of the bolt.

  4. #4inchit plumbing2023-05-26 23:21

    Could some one please confirm where the four bolts are, are they the four large bolts underneath that need to be removed? As it looks like there are two large bolts aswell if you look down behind the engine.

  5. #5heymccall2023-05-26 23:52
  6. #6heymccall2023-05-26 23:54
  7. #7heymccall2023-05-26 23:57
  8. #8John Shipp2023-05-27 03:39

    Hello heymccall, when re-installing the counterweight, do the 4 bolts need thread lock ? Or copper slip grease? Thanks.

  9. #9heymccall2023-05-27 08:38

    Antisieze

  10. #10John Shipp2023-05-27 08:41

    Thanks

  11. #11Tyler d4c2023-05-27 09:29

    This amazes me that the cat guy didn't pop the hood up and look a say to him self I'm going to remove 4 volts and pop this weight off and be out of her in a hour and a half