Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 313BSR boom arrangement

kneelo ยท 2010-03-15 03:53

I am looking at a Cat excavator thats for sale at the moment. It has an unusual boom configuration with the stick cylinder under the boom... I haven't seen this before so was curious why is it so? Apparently the machine is a Jap import so I don't know if that makes any difference. Its a bit smaller than I'm really looking for but this boom has me scratching my head.

Replies8
  1. #1roadrunner812010-03-15 10:20

    looks like a shovel

  2. #2dr dirt2010-03-15 13:24

    It could be set up for forestry work as well...?

  3. #3joispoi2010-03-15 14:14

    That's a small shovel. With the piston located where it is, the dipper pushes harder than it can pull. It doesn't have the tear out force that a standard hoe configuration gives. Looking closer at the cab, it does look like it may be beefed up for forestry work. Good call Dr. Dirt. It seems kinda small for tree harvesting, but then again it seems kinda small for a shovel....maybe that's why it's for sale.

  4. #4Turbo218352010-03-15 15:00

    This looks it may be set up as a tunnel machine as well.

  5. #5412neal2010-03-15 15:42

    If it is gray market my advice is to stay away from it , I bought a cat 308 bsr gray market , I cannot get a service or parts manual , I had a meeting with Cleveland Bros.(a big Cat dealer in Pitts.) they told me all manuals are in Japanese ,so I said I can go to the internet and translate a page , also I guess you guys can't talk to each other because there is no way to translate what a crock of crap , in short there answer was for me to buy an american made Cat (I'm not kidding that was their answer)best as I can determine my machine i think is made by Mitsubishi and painted Cat colors so nnow I have to pay Cat service prices to work on my machine it sucks , good luck p.s. I love this machinie the way the boom articulates is great on a mid size machine

  6. #6kneelo2010-03-15 18:19

    Thanks guys... After posting I thought maybe its a shovel but I didn't think they were made this small. The smallest I could find in the cat handbook was a 45t. I think i'll let this one go as I looks like trouble.

  7. #7Senator215i2010-03-19 01:27

    i'm with turbo on this i thought a tunnel machine

  8. #8cps2010-03-19 21:24

    I think it may be for digging basements and underfloors and what not! the dipper cylinder is mounted underneath to protect agaist the roofs etc!