Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 313F LGC

Jadin Campbell ยท 2025-03-13 09:59

Hello, I am working on a Cat 313F excavator with 3307 hrs, for a equipment rental company. I don't know a lot of the history on it, but the engine had went bad, and was replaced by a Cat reman approx. 20 hrs ago. Since then it overheats after it is run for a while and they are suspicious that it overheated before and caused the old engine to fail. They also replaced the water pump and thermostats. The radiator and hydraulic oil cooler are side by side in a split design and not stacked like some others are. The radiator and everything looks clean and I have run it some but have not gotten it to overheat, apparently it has to be working hard to overheat. I have Cat et software and there are no codes though when I go through and look at live data, the actual egr position never matches commanded position. I would think it could be a problem, though there are no codes for it. Also if I have it throttled up and just move the boom back and forth in the air, the air intake temperature climbs to about 230-240 degrees, which would seem to me to be too high, but then again, there are no codes. So I am wondering if the egr valve is possibly sending too much exhaust through and it overheats eventually because the air intake temperature is too high, or if maybe the egr cooler or radiator are somewhat plugged internally. I have not been able to find specs on what the air inlet temperature is supposed to be though. (Attachment 1 is egr valve at high idle no load, and attachment 2 is engine temperatures at high idle and moving the stick back and forth in the air)

Replies1
  1. #1Jadin Campbell2025-03-13 10:00

    Ser. #CAT0313FCHDK10294