Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 314D LCR Crank No start

Pete w · 2022-09-29 13:52

SSZ00487 Hello my fellow head scratchers and hair puller outters! Ive got yet another good one for you. Although i hope you just say "hey, look at this thing here stupid!" ANYWAY. Month or so ago. Yes its been a bit. Thought i had it figured out. I did not. From the beginning. Unit was loaded onto a trailer and moved to a job site. No issues. Go to unload from the trailer, crank no start. display show low coolant and low oil. Neither of which are low. They call me to come check it out. I find that the positive terminal lug under the cab has corroded and become disconnected. clean and reconnect. Check all fuses. No change. Hook up to ET and no ECM is "visible" Weird. Trace wires as best as i can. Stupid zero turn units. And find nothing. Didnt have my multi meter with me so i spliced the comm wires and ran jumpers. No change. Back to the shop with it. I have power to the ecm. Good continuity in the comm wires. No corrosion. Nothing looks amiss. Must of fried the ECM. Called Cat to order one. No luck. Which is why its sat for so long. Obtained a replacement ECM. No change. Now, here i am. Crying to you.

Replies10
  1. #1ahart2022-09-29 17:19

    Have you checked all battery power wires and key switch power wires at the ecm? Also check all ground wires for continuity to frame ground at the ecm connector. When you plug your ET in without hooking it to your computer, do the lights come on on the comm 3? There should be at least 2 ECMs showing up, engine and machine control. If neither are coming up I would assume you have a power problem at your diagnostic port or an issue with the datalink wires. If all power and ground wires are good, it’s time to do the CAN datalink test to make sure resistors are good.

  2. #2Nige2022-09-30 04:32

    I sent you some info. No idea if it's useful or not.

  3. #3Pete w2022-09-30 06:48

    Ill have to recheck, i do not remember all my readings. How much voltage should i be getting at the ECM? Its got to be a power or a wore problem for it to have run fine and then just quit. I thought that the intermittent power due to the corroded/broke off wires fried the ECM. When plugged up to ET it only shows the machine and the monitor, No engine ECM.

  4. #4heymccall2022-09-30 09:52

    There was this one time where my SSZ 314DLCR cranked but wouldn't start, out in the middle of nowhere. Turns out that the crank sensor was bad. And it's on the counterweight side. And I got that sucker out and the new one in (I'm 5ft 17, so I has long arms) and wouldn't you know it, I couldn't get that amphenol plug to snap together. Ended up pulling the counterweight. Secret I learned...put a tiny bit of dielectric grease on the perimeter of the sensor electrical cavity, right where the seal on the mate will touch. Back to the issue at hand. Remove the rear storage shelf and start examining wires for contact and abrasion. There was this one time where my SSZ 314DLCR would intermittently lose travel alarm, rabbit, HVAC and bucket coupler (but not the coupler buzzer), and it turned out to be wire abrasion/ rub through in the bundle above the HVAC box. Since I is 5ft 17, I was able to reach without seat removal.

  5. #5Nige2022-09-30 10:09

    If you're talking about supply voltage to power up the engine ECM, the same as you measure across the batteries (24v) more or less. You should have permanent Batt+ on Pins 7, 8, 15, & 16 of Connector J1 which is Grey (J2 is Blue) and switched power from the key switch on Pin 40 of J1.

  6. #6Angry Mike2022-09-30 22:08
  7. #7Angry Mike2022-09-30 22:10

    Are there any other modules active on the network you can communicate with or only the machine ECM?

  8. #8Pete w2022-10-03 06:50

    Machine ECM and machine monitor.

  9. #9Pete w2022-12-06 06:57

    Good morning! Sorry i havent posted an update. I hate when people find the resolution and dont post it. Machine is up and running. Found another "power post" behind the fuse panel. Not easy to get to. But it was corroded as well and had one wire broke off. Crazy how that happened at the same time. After repairing all that, ecm and everything came back online. Crank...no start. Checked the starter solenoid. Power to but not through. Replaced. Same issue. Weird....Hooked up a power probe and was going to send power to the signal wire to see what happens but as soon as i touched it, it showed ground...this unit is supposed to be a frame ground. So somewhere i have a bad ground. Never found it, ran separate ground wire to unit and everything works as it should. Been running a couple jobs since. Thanks for the help. Keep fixin!

  10. #10Kyaw Lwin oo2023-11-09 01:25

    My 314D LCR monitor is running normal .But cannot work any button and cannot enter service menu ,Please help