After reading several older threads I think I need to replace my swivel seals. I had to drive it about a mile yesterday on a mountain road, it has no track power when you try to turn. Several times I had to switch from road speed to slow speed just to turn a little bit. It also does not seem to have much power when going up a hill, which is a problem. I keep seeing how it's not a tough job to change the seals and should only take 4 hours or a day at most, my question is can someone break down how to change these seals in simple terms for me? Thank you Matt
Serial # is 6XM00274, I just called to get a quote on the seal kit and a service manual, and they told me that serial # is the engine serial #. I don't think that's right
6XM is a Japanese built 315 serial number prefix, should be correct.
I called another cat dealer and he couldn't get any information for me either using that # so we used 6YM and I have my fingers crossed the seals are the same between the two machines. Any tips on how to change these seals out would be greatly appreciated.
It's possible the 6XM is a so called "grey market" machine, not for US consumption. I would bet the seals are the same though.
All the Serial Numbers of 315 before the model changed to 315B appear to use the same swivel - the assembly is 4I-7603. I think you should be OK using 6YM S/No prefix for your machine to get parts. Just to confirm it, can you see a Part Number marked on the cast housing for the swivel..? If so, what is it..?
I will have to get back to the machine and check it, it is up in the mountains right now, about an hour and a half away. I wish I would have figured this out before I took it up there. I guess that's how you learn.
I think you will be OK using 6YM as a S/No prefix to order your swivel parts, but I would be happier with a number from the housing. That would nail it down.
I understand. I will at least verify that number before pulling it apart if I can't get up there before the parts get here.
I talked to a friend of mine that is an equipment mechanic about what I need to do to change these seals out. Unfortunately he lives out of state or I would gladly pay him to show me how to do this. Anyways, he told me to remove the hoses underneath the machine and to drop the swivel out from underneath the machine. I watched a video on youtube where the guy removed it from the top and it looked pretty straightforward. Is there a right or wrong way or is it just preference?
There are plenty of threads on here about replacing swivel seals. It's not hard so long as you take care. Taking the swivel out from above or below is often down to personal preference, availability of something to lift with, or something as simple as how many hoses need moving above and below. Out the bottom would probably be as good a way as any out in the field so long as you dug a shallow-ish hole and then moved the machine over it. This is probably as good an example as any .... Cleanliness during disassembly & reassembly allied to making sure the new seals go in exactly the orientation & location as the old ones came out and you're 90% there as regards winning the battle. Remember to check the centre spindle and under the cover for corrosion.
The important thing to do is to vent the hydraulic tank and leave it vented (big hex plug on top) then remove the pipes underneath first, its fine to do it off the floor any hole is to be avoided, if its tough for you to get under the carbody do the 2 lines of dirt thing and drive up onto them, downwards is often the easy route with swivel joints using a lever lift off the back of the boom. tctractors
Thanks for the tips guys, I really do appreciate it. My plan was to go up today and scope out what all I need, however the weather is turning bad today so we'll see when the rain stops.
It looks like the casting number is 417604 The parts I have are (1) 095-1716, (5) 159-7782, (3) 095-1625, and (1) 3K-0360
That's 4I-7604. Your swivel group is therefore 4I-7603 and the parts you ordered under 6YM prefix will be correct.
Wonderful, thank you very much for the info! After looking at it today, it will be much easier to remove it from the bottom as it is entirely different than the one that I watched on you tube where the guy took it out from the top.
I ran into a problem here. I'm not sure what I need to do to get this thing the rest of the way out. Do I need to remove the hoses on the top end, take out the bolts from the bottom and then lift the thing out the top or what?
If you need to remove it completely, yes, it looks like you need to unbolt it and pull it out the top, may also require removing some or all of the hose adapters (fittings) from the housing in order for it to pass through the hole in the plate. I would probably try to reseal it in place, remove that bottom cover, should be a plate with some bolts in it that holds the center unit into the housing. Remove all the hoses (mark them!) from the top and anything bolted to the center shaft then it should slide up and out of the housing. Some people prefer to pull the unit and secure it to their truck to work on it, personal choice. Have fun!
Sounds like your on the right track. Remove the fittings from the bottom half for clearance, remove top lines, rubber seal (if it has one) that keeps the water out of the center, unbolt and lift out. Split apart on a bench
Ok, any ideas on what the whole thing weighs? I'll be by myself tomorrow, hoping I can complete this before Monday.
Maybe this will help, instructions for removing swivel from 6YM*** weight is in last page Some overlap in the steps, hope that does not confuse anyone!
Nige : …. Sent you a PM …. Thx
Hello all, I have the same issue and machine...are there clearer pics of the repair to this swivel group? Thanks
Are there clearer pics for these instructions? I'm gonna attempt this in the next week or 2... Thanks
What Serial Number of machine do you have..?
6XM00309
Removal
This is perfect!! Thank you