I'm taking apart my swivel for the travel on my 315 L cat excavator, can anyone tell me does it come out the top or out the bottom. I have all the lines off and it looks like it comes down but just wanting to double check. I got all my seal rings and orings just need to get it out. Thanks.
What 315 you have b,c,d?
Just an L model
I did get it out the top, removed the lower cap and found plastic seal ring bits in the bottom. Now comes the next hurdle, it only slid apart 3/4 of an inch. Turned, tapped, pried and cussed but I can't get it apart. I didn't want to get real animal with it and break something.
Some or all of the seal rings have probably gone hard and broken, jamming between the grooves as you try to pull it apart. The housing needs to be held steady (maybe put it back in the machine, upside down if you have to) then beat the bejasus out of the centre using a hardwood block on the spindle to prevent damage. I don't think it's likely that any of the pieces jamming the spindle in the housing will be metal unless at some time in the past you've had a catastrophic travel motor failure.
I took it apart in the press, it only took just a little more pressure then I could apply. I only found about 2 dozen small pieces of all the seal rings. I'll change all my hydraulic oil and see if I can find any more pieces.
I think I have a new machine, at an idle you either turn or kill the motor. Now I'm hoping to get all the plastic out of the oil. Drained the reservoir and changed filters, still haven't found much remains of the old seal rings.
May have been cleaned out over time with the return filters, some of it may be stuck in the cooler. If it's functioning okay at this point I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it, YMMV.
I've got a cat 315 bl and I removed the bottom plate and took a retaining washer out then just slide it out the top it was fairly easy coming since I left the hoses to use a a handle and then a struggle to get back in but it went in with the help of a crowbar