Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 3176 low fuel pressure

Lewis12 · 2018-06-13 21:52

I have 40psi at idle but every now and then I hear a click and fuel pressure jumps to about 75 then goes back to 40 right away. I think the click is from the pressure regulator inside the transfer fuel pump. I looked online and read fuel pressure should be at 60psi min to 80 psi all the time. Is the pressure regulator serviceable inside transfer pump? Is there a way to tell is it’s bad visually? Does anyone have the transfer pump breakdown schematic? 9ck17074 This is the seriel number on engine.

Replies4
  1. #1heymccall2018-06-13 23:28

    Only relief I see is #6 w/#20

  2. #2Lewis122018-06-14 07:30

    I has read online that the fuel transfer pump #16 in the schematic has the fuel pressure regulator inside the pump itself # 16 and 7 are the fittings on the fuel transfer pump. Just want to see the schematic of the fuel transfer pump and if the fuel pressure regulator is inside it?

  3. #3Lewis122018-06-14 19:52

    Your right that relief is the fuel pressure regulator. What I was reading online was from a different cat 3176.

  4. #4heymccall2018-06-14 20:26

    Yup...my 3176C had the relief in the filter head under the hand primer.