Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 3176C leaking engine oil into bell housing.

Stllknocks · 2024-05-13 20:24

I am confident that the rear main seal is not leaking but the engine oil still runs into the bell housing. Any thing I can look at?

Replies17
  1. #1shopguy2024-05-13 20:33

    Camshaft plug?

  2. #2Stllknocks2024-05-14 03:32

    The cover at the end of the Camasaft is outside of the bell housing. The leak would be an external leak. New crankshaft with a new seal. All CAT. No aftermarket. What is the possibility of a vacuum in the bell housing that sucks the engine oil through the seal?

  3. #3Mobiltech2024-05-14 08:45

    is there a a wear sleeve with the seal. Some of the new rear seals require a wear sleeve that wasn’t there on the original. What is the serial number?

  4. #4Stllknocks2024-05-15 07:46

    BRM01127 - The seal is 533-2153 and comes with a wear sleeve. It was recommended that we use 533-2152, same size seal but also leaking. Wear sleeve fits perfectly on the crank.

  5. #5Nige2024-05-15 13:30

    Who recommended that and did you in fact use that Part Number.? Just for confirmation. I assume that you are installing the seal and sleeve together as one unit.?

  6. #6Stllknocks2024-05-16 03:36

    The recommendation was made by a Barloworld TA. We used both 533-2152 and 533-2153. Both seals were installed with the sleeve. Both seals are original CAT seal. Both sleeves fits perfectly onto the crankshaft...Both seals leaked about 10L of 15W40 oil into the bellhousing in about 1 hour of idling.

  7. #7oarwhat2024-05-16 06:49

    Is the crankcase breather clean and working?

  8. #8Nige2024-05-16 10:57

    Quick & dirty check. Temporarily remove the engine oil filler cap and repeat the test. Run the engine with the plug on the bottom of the flywheel housing removed and observe what happens. EDIT: Can you elaborate on the circumstances that led up to where you are right now.? Also what Part Number of seal is currently installed.?

  9. #9Mobiltech2024-05-16 12:06

    What machine is the engine in? I take it that it is a D7r? Is it possible the seal which bolts on according to that part number is not centered on the crank or is there excessive crank runout.

  10. #10Nige2024-05-16 12:09

    He posted the S/N somewhere above. It's a D7R Series II.

  11. #11Mobiltech2024-05-16 12:11

    Yes thanks. I was just editing as you answered We had a few graders with that seal that were transferring oil to the transmission. When you install the seal you can move it up and down on the bolts. Also there will be an o ring behind the seal plate where it bolts on.

  12. #12Nige2024-05-16 12:45

    Funny you should say that. I was digging and found some interesting info regarding the seal assembly installation and bolt tightenting sequence. The thought of a crank that either had too miuch end float or had "drooped" on the flysheel end also crossed my mind. That's why I asked the OP to supply a bit more about the back story regarding how they got to where they are now.

  13. #13Mobiltech2024-05-16 14:23

    Hard to imagine 10 litres an hour past a crank seal. That’s a steady stream.

  14. #14Nige2024-05-16 14:28

    Unless there was a fair bit of pressure behind it.?

  15. #15tctractors2024-05-16 15:06

    Did anyone not think its the Main Bearings worn out?

  16. #16Mobiltech2024-05-16 18:02

    That’s what I was kind of aiming at with the checking crankshaft movement comment. Jamb a prybar under the flywheel and give it a wiggle.

  17. #17ahart2024-05-16 21:14

    I believe I’d be inclined to pull the torque and the powertrain pump driveshaft and run the engine and see for myself where the oil is coming from. Had a D11 once that completely Grenaded the torque planetary due to a rear main bearing being worn out, it was easily spotted by the flywheel bouncing up and down with the torque out and engine running.