I am replacing my oil pan and started the process today. A few weeks ago I was cleaning out the belly area and had a hinged belly plate hanging down. I got distracted with another issue on the cat and forgot the hanging plate. When I slewed the cab the plate hit the track and mangled the plate as it drove it up into the oil pan area. The pan had a 3 inch long gash. No oil leaked out until I pulled the plate out...instant oil change. I found a few interesting items in the pan. I would like your input on what you think these are. First, I noticed triangular/cone shaped flakes of metal...very thin...maybe 6 flakes. They may be from the oil pan as a result of the plate trauma? Or are they ominous? Second, there was a threaded bolt with a screw slot on one end and the other end was smooth. Third, there was a metal "cup" that maybe the smooth end of the threaded bolt/rod fit into? I cannot see anything similar up in the piston/rod area. Trying to figure out how to post multiple pictures.
picts...
OK...only 4 files can be posted at a time:
more:
Isn't that an adjusting screw and nut for a rocker? The second two pictures in the first post, and the last picture in the second.
I am not sure...if so I hope it was dropped somewhere along the line and the mechanic just got another? Reasonable? The engine has been running fine.
I just googled "rocker arm adjuster" and I think you are right.
Might not hurt to pop the valve cover off and have a look . . . Is the machine high time?
7000 hours
Is it physically possible for that rocker arm adjuster screw and nut to make its way all the way thru the engine into the oil pan?
I don't know about the newer machines, but on my 315C the valve cover is right there, probably have it off in 15 minutes, unless I am not remembering an obstruction. I would sure want to see the valve train if it were mine.
Well, it is there. Probably via the return galleries. One of the other guys who has torn down 10 of those will probably be along soon enough to answer those details . . .
hahhaha...true dat...."it is there". I'll wait for more input...good lead you gave me already. I am sure that is what it is. The valve covers are up top and accessible as I remember them. I'll check in the AM. Will I need a new valve cover gasket if I remove it...or is it reasonable to expect it to come off and be re-usable?
Not sure whether it would be considered reusable or not, but if it was me I would probably replace it either way. I don't like re work much.
Just make sure you clean the valve cover up pretty good before you pull it off so you don't get dirt dropping in there. Usually you can take a blow gun and blow it out real good, especially the seam/gasket area between the cover and head.
Pull the valve cover off and take a look would also be my thoughts, just to confirm....... Is the piece in the circle the bottom end of the engine oil dipstick.? Hard to tell from the photo but if it's got paint on it then it's not.
Good eye on the small piece. I'll see if I can figure that out. I just ordered two valve cover gaskets so I'll be checking the valves out soon. Gaskets don't arrive until Monday.
In the 4th picture, that little round thing with the recess may be a valve stem lash cap. Some engines use them to prevent wear on the end of the valve stem. They go on top of the valve stem between the valve stem and the tip of the rocker arm
I think you are right. I looked inside the oil fill cap and could see the rocker arm adjusters for 2 valves...identical cap was there. I will be removing valve covers this weekend to see what's what.
I removed both valve covers and good news...all the rocker arm adjusters are in place. No idea why there was one in the oil pan. Iget the cover gaskets in the AM and get to put things back together.
Could have fallen off at any point and been replaced. Not a big deal. The wedges look like drill shavings to me, also not a big deal, if that's what they are.
Most likely from a previous failure
Is there a lash cap on the valve stem/rocker arm second from the left? Its hard to tell and my eyes still aren’t awake yet
It's nice to find good news . . . !
more Good question. It does look suspicious. I've got my gaskets now so I'll check that closely when I take it back apart.
Something doesn't look right on both valves of the cylinder below. See how far down both the adjusting screws are in the rocker arm.? There is almost no thread showing above the locknut. Compare that to the screws on the other 5 cylinders where there appears to be maybe 3-4 threads above the nut.
I talked to the service manager when I was at CAT picking up the gaskets this morning. I told him I was concerned that the lash cap might be missing on that cylinder. It's hard to tell from the pictures. His comment was that I should see a fairly equal amount of adjustment in each rocker arm. If the lash cap is missing the adjustment would be different in that rocker arm setup. I agree with you, Nige, it looks like that second rocker arm adjuster screw is a different height.. could be the camera angle but I'll know after I go check it closer later today.
I re-checked the rocker arms (valve bridge CAT calls it) and lash caps on all the cylinders now that I know what to look for. Sure enough, the #1 cylinder, 2nd rocker arm unit, is missing the lash cap that fits onto the top of the valve stem. Also, the nut on the adjusting screw is a different color and thickness...someone in the past must have been adjusting the valves, dropped parts down thru the journal/oil passageways and made do. The 4-5-6 cylinder setups looked OK...that earlier picture that showed few threads was a camera angle issue. The CAT service rep came by yesterday afternoon and put eyes on the setup and agreed...I am waiting now for CAT to set up a time to send a field service tech to come install the lash cap and proper nut (which I retrieved from the oil pan) and to do a valve adjustment. Then I should be good to go again. I appreciate the eagle eyes of you guys @56wrench (who first noticed an anomaly) and Nige who seconded the query to keep the ball rolling. I am on the right path now to get the motor set up correctly now.
more...
Why not put it all back the way it should be and then set the valve lash yourself.? It's not difficult and only requires a wrench, a flat screwdriver, and a set of feeler gauges. Oh, and a way to turn the engine over by hand to set the valves on each cylinder.
I have watched videos about setting the valves but have not actually done it since about 1970. It's beyond my abilities at present...I'll let a pro do it.
Honestly its really not all that difficult. You could probably do it all yourself in an hour or 2.
Its good to know one's limits. However it was probably a "pro" that did the last lash adjustment . . .