I have a contact looking for a good used 40K lb trackhoe for me. As I am not above buying a fixer, he told me of a Cat 320C? (1997) which had a pump detonate and scatter metal throughout the system. They have offered it to him for $14K with Cat telling them they could fix the pump and flush the system for 10K and back the fix. It works but is jerky and will move for a way then stop. I don't have the tools it might take to do an active flush but could remove and clean cylinders, blow out hoses, etc. He was told it has 60% undercarriage and is in decent shape. Would this be anything to even look at and do myself or would it be a dealer fix after purchase? Either way I could come out for less than my planned budget but I don't want a possible trouble machine in the future.
Run, don't walk, and never look back.... you never EVER get all the metal out and flushing won't clean the swivel, the track drive motors, the swing motor, the cylinders, the cooler, even the control valve spools. One piece of iron or steel in a valve spool might cost you ten grand to have the valve redone just as a small example. Others will disagree, but I wouldn't touch it for anything.
Thanks lantraxco! That was my thought too but I didn't want to pass up on it if it might be fixable with an assurance of dependability. Sounds like it might be destined for the parts yard.
Just curious what the dealer offered as a warranty? I'll play devils advocate to landtraxco, $24K for a 320C with a warranty long enough and you could pay for the machine and then some. If it runs it's worth more than $14K in parts. BTW - I agree with Landtraxco for what I do with a hoe I'd run from it to.
$10k with a warranty sounds like a STORY
Anything can be fixed! Just remove every line, hose, fitting, valve, cylinder, dismantle tank, pump and motor and wash three times each part using fresh cleaning fluid each time then reassemble and run with flushing filters and change them and oil three times and then there is a chance it might be okay. Just looked back at lantraxco's post, need to install new cooler! Even if the dealer does "fix" it for the $10K and warranties it for say two years are they going to provide you with a loaner to use every time something acts up? And what about your lost time while waiting for them to send the loaner out? As much as I like to see something getting fixed I guess I would have to say pass on this one and hope that your competition thinks it is a great deal Now if this was a 1960-70's vintage machine my feelings might be a bit different.
Looser tolerances, and most pumps and motors were gears back then, the typical failure mode was worn out bypassing, not total annihilation the way piston units sometimes do. I agree anything CAN be fixed, if your wallet is fat enough and you have the time!
Complete certified rebuild everything new or reman. All hoses and lines changed and tank cleaned. That would be only way I think you could say it would be a good machine. Just my thoughts on it.