Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 3208 engine number question

2000busa ยท 2015-06-20 20:30

I have a few question for you guys. I purchased a used Dump truck yesterday. 1984 Ford LN7000. I was told it had a 3114 Cat re-manufactured engine. I paid $2900 which seemed reasonable.He wanted $4200. Did I get a good deal? when I got the oil cleaned off the sticker said Cat Re-manufactured 3208. I Feel like I was lied too. I am looking for a service manual and the number I found stamped on the valve cover is 9L7429. Do you know what service manual I need? Just curious which motor is better 3114 or 3208? I read negative about both. 328,000 miles on truck odometer. Service meter reads 1839. It has a new battery, 4 new rear tired and a new muffler. Small leak out of PTO. I am new to the dump truck world, just doing some work at my acreage. Thanks in advance, Tim

Replies5
  1. #1Cmark2015-06-21 03:36

    3114 is a straight four and 3208 is a V eight so you should be able to tell which you have easily, but going from your part number of 9L7429 I can tell you have a 3208. I have little experience with either of them in on highway applications, but not many other people have much good to say about the 3208. In industrial/offroad applications I have found them both to be fine within their limits given proper care.

  2. #2ol' Grump2015-06-21 10:01

    Cmark has it right about proper care but then that applies to any truck/engine. I've driven an 8 yd dump with the 3208 and it's a tad underpowered in hilly country with a full load. It's not a heavy duty type engine but in a 5 yd dump, should be fine as long as you stay within it's limitations. Best power range I'd found was to keep it between 1500 and 2000 rpms, shifting as needed.

  3. #3Mobiltech2015-06-21 10:15

    the 3114 wouldn't be found in a truck like that. The 3116 came out in top kick gmc trucks about 1988. The 3114 would be too small . The 3208 can be a good engine if tuned right and taken care of. They started good and pulled pretty good too. I would recommend a valve adjustment periodically which will catch failing valves seats and guides which seemed to be a common failure. You will probably have better luck with the 3208 then you would with a 3116/3114 . There are less fuel system parts and adjustments.

  4. #4lantraxco2015-06-21 23:11

    One thing to watch on the 3208 is overspeed going downhill. They're a short stroke V8 so they don't have much compression, not that any diesel does, so it's easy to exceed the redline on the tach coming off a hill with a load on.

  5. #52000busa2015-06-22 00:31

    Thanks for all the information. Any idea what service manual I would need? I will be doing general maintenance. Cat 3208 with 9L7429 stamped in the valve cover.