Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 3208 rear main seal replacement

Labparamour ยท 2013-10-02 22:48

Howdy All, I have a Ford L7000 with a CAT 3208. Leaks oil out the rear of the engine something fierce (I know, kinda like saying I have an old Detroit Diesel that leaks oil!). Anyway, I've heard of changing out seals I'm gassers by pulling main bearing caps and letting rear of crank lower a bit so you can snake the new seal up/over. Can this be done with a 3208 in-frame? Probably just gonna keep dumping oil in for the time being. At least the frame won't rust... Thanks, Darryl

Replies2
  1. #1excavator2013-10-02 23:08

    The 3208 has a one peice rear seal and it requires a special driver to replace it. Pretty simple and straight forward if you have access to this tool, remove the old one and press in the new.

  2. #2Labparamour2013-10-02 23:14

    Thanks Excavator. I was thinking about a tranny swap so, if I pull that, I guess I can change out the seal then. Thanks again for the info. Darryl