A little background. I have a 1997 Cat 320 B that I bought for demo and clearing work around the farm in Oct 2010. I'm the 2nd owner and it has a 4150 hours on it. It's turned out to be a very good machine. I'd really like to have a Progressive thumb or even a Power Grip Bucket. First off the machine doesn't have Aux Hydraulic on it so that needs to be added. Second, It has a long and deep 36" Eagle Bucket on a Baldarson manual coupler. So a thumb would need to be really long to work properly. Which got me to thinking about the Power Grip bucket. By the time I add all this stuff would I be better off to sell and buy another machine (and unknown issues) with a progressive thumb, Investment wise? I could go down in size to a 315, 160 size machine. Here is a picture of the present bucket:
Could you do away with the quick coupling or get a thumb that swivels on the boom pin? I'm wanting to put a thumb on my 690 and don't have axe hyd either. I'm thinking of using 12 volt hyd valve like is put on tractor for a add on outlet tied into the bucket cylinder. Open valve to set thumb, then close and finish curling the bucket. Thumb cylinder being smaller will move first. I should have gotten an excavator years ago since I've found out how handy they are around the farm. What area of East central Il. are you? Good Luck pointrow
not to knock your machine, and it really depends on how long your willing to keep machine and your use of thumb. But I would say save your money on a hyd. thumb since you don't have aux. hyd. as it will probally run you in the $15k plus range just go and mount yourself a mech. thumb.
the power grip bucket is the way to go. the thumb is not in the way when you aren't using it. it costs more but is available with option bolt on brackets so you and mount the bucket on all machines in the hat class size with direct pin on , pin grabber coupler and wedge style coupler. go to http://www.attachmart.com/attachments/Bucket/Excavator/11913
That's really nice but kind of pricey at $19,445.
I'd look for a machine with the options you want/need........The cost is pretty steep to add new Aux. hydro's vs. finding a machine with tn already on.........but with that being said, there is always the unknown when looking to switch to a different machine when the one your presently running is reliable and a known evil so to speak...Tough decision.....Good luck which even way you choose to go.
Pointrow: I'm between Watska and St Anne, how about you? Looks like the posts run the gamut. When I first got the machine, I was going to get a weld on fixed thumb, but didn't like the idea of the SOB in the way. With the extra depth and capacity of the bucket I have can get tippy when trying to load off the side of the track. Aux hyd kits I've priced with me installing from $3800 to $5100. Haven't got around to pricing a progressive link thumb. But I'm going to guess $6K+ Then there is the issue of the present bucket length/depth. That bucket could be sold, but for how much and how long would it take? A Power Grip would be awesome, but $19,500 is crazy money for me to spend on one. The future of the machine? When I first bought it, I was going to do what I needed and sell it. But man I just love having it around. Can't imagine not having it. I put 300 hours on it last year. I'd like to keep it around after this year of major demo and construction work. My son (only 13 now) likes to run equipment and maybe it will be a way for him to earn some money. From what I'm seeing in the used market, I could trade up a few years and around the same hours and gain the progressive thumb for around $20-$25K. But not a CAT. I wanted a Cat for parts and service nearer to me.
I just checked out the link: http://www.attachmart.com/attachment...xcavator/11913 That's a Klaw bucket. Sure is pricey. I was looking for the Helac Power Grip. Like a 4 in 1 bucket. I need to find a price on this.
Got a price on a Power Grip today, 36" bucket for the 320B: $14,000. (6 week lead time for delivery) Line kit $3,800 with a joystick control and powder coated lines. Decisions......
Where did you get a price for the aux kit? I just priced one for a 315 and was way more than that if I could get it for that I would do it. I came up with nearly $6500 with lines plus 2 reliefe carterages from cat for another $700 apiece. You would not think it is rocket science to add a circut to a machine with that much hydraulic capasaty but I could not believe how complex these companys make it sound. Also is that a bam bam joy stick or proportional for that price?
I priced Ronson equipment in Lowell In. They were quite prompt with getting back on price. Refreshing as most places didn't seem too interested. These were aftermarket line kits. HKX was one and I don't recall the other manufacturer was. I ended up selling my cat to a farm drainage contractor. And bought a machine with the aux hyd and thumb.
Well heck man .What did you end up getting ?
I bought a Daewoo / Doosan 140 With a progressive link thumb. Low hours, very clean well maintained one owner machine. Got it here today!
Nice. How about a picture or two of the new girl
I'll start another thread when I get time to post pics.
E50 Not looking to steal your thunder, but here is a picture of my New 2012 BOBCAT E50 for inspiration. I look forward to it as I am sure others would enjoy seeing it as well..Everybody loves picture of new Iron. Good luck with it by the way.
Lookin' good pafarmer! I started another thread with a couple of pics.