I am working on dredging out a 70-year-old pond and yesterday was in the back part of the pond when a hydraulic hose to the boom cylinder burst. There was an immediate rainstorm of oil and I tried to briefly get the boom lowered but pressure failed quickly enough that did not work. I got the cat shut down and decided to go ahead and look it what was going on immediately. It occurred to me later that it would have been a reasonable time to just sit and relax a minute while I figured out my next step. Luckily I went ahead and got out of the cab and flickers of flame caught my attention in the back diagonal corner of the engine area. There was fire coming up around the exhaust. Apparently when the hose burst the oil was aerosolized and I figured that's probably what caught fire first. FTR...my CAT320C uses 10W40 oil for the hydraulic system and I'm assuming it is more readily flammable than standard hydraulic oil. I scrambled over to the compartment box where the stairs are and got the fire extinguisher out and made my way up the totally oil slick stairs to the engine compartment. I was able to open the compartment though it was already hot and was able to put out the fire before anything burned or melted. I'll know for sure once I crank it back up I guess. I had to set up a ladder on the track to be able to access the high point where the hoses are. I've got a background in tree work so I was able to safety off while working on the ladder and bouncing around with the 4 ft steel breaker pipe. I removed the first hose first with great difficulty. The end where it was first was very tight and I could not break it free. I decided to try the other end and when I got to it, that distal end was already loose.. like hand tight. Apparently, when the hose burst it somehow cracked the seal and made it easy for me to remove that fitting. I asked the hydraulic mechanic at the shop how that fitting could have been that loose. He said they have been known to break loose when they burst. It's a flat face fitting and that may have something to do with it? Anyway, once I got it free, I understood how the other fitting needed to turn and was able to bounce the pipe breaker bar on the monkey wrench that made me able to get the tight nut off. I also went ahead and removed the second hose right beside it since I have easy access right now and the system is going to have to be refilled with oil.. probably 15 gallons. I just left the hydraulic shop with two new hoses. $200 each.
A few more pictures
Last ones
Dang Gary! Glad you had a working extinguisher! I think you may have dodged a bullet there. looks like it did not cook anything but the oil itself. I have been in a 320 making that aerosol mist, but my case it was straight away from me and right at the passing 70 MPH train
10.4 on having a fire extinguisher. I'm pretty sure it would have completely burned up if I had not jumped on that fire. I'm going into Lowe's on the way back to the pond and pick up two fire extinguishers. I will put one back in the compartment at the stairs, and mount another one in the radiator area so that I've got access to extinguishers no matter which side of the CAT I am on.
I suggest behind that door behind the cab, on the door. That way it is not going to get in the way. I think that is a legit space in front of the radiator?
Thanks. I was hoping for some feedback on mounting location ideas. On that door might be a good idea. It would swing right out and be available. Near the hinges should put less stress on the hinge than out near the latch. When I get to that mounting point I may holler back at you guys to see what y'all think.
leave it unlocked and put "extinguisher inside" decal on it. That means somebody like me could possibly save your machine or another nearby machine on fire.
Do you use CO2 or dry powder extinguishers.?
The one I had was dry powder. The two I just picked up are also dry powder. I like CO2 but I don't even know how to get those. Is there a preference as far as you're concerned? Do I need to be concerned about the powder that they put out? Are they caustic when mixed with water? I plan to get buckets of canal water and rinse off any oil in the area of the exhaust before I crank this thing back up. Am I making an acidic stew?
Just got two of these.
OK, so dry powder. The vibration from machine operation can cause the powder to settle like concrete in the bottom of the container - the time to find this out is NOT in an emergency situation. It's advisable to include maintenance of the extinguisher as part of your PM work. All you have to to is remove it from the bracket, turn it upside down and give the tank a few taps with a dead blow hammer to make sure the powder is loose. Then give the tank a good shake, you should be able to feel the powder moving inside it.
Perfect. Thanks for the explanation.
I tried driving my 4WD GMC 2500 back to the site where the CAT was in the pond...the fire break road is too muddy. Then it hit me...I recently dug out the canal that runs parallel to the pond...I can paddle all the way to the back swamp/beaver pond...approx. 1/4 mile. This is how I got the oil and hoses back to the dam breach that I was repairing when the hose blew.
Good news is the new hoses are holding fine, hydraulic fluid level is staying good. I worked in the CAT today, cleaning the canal a bit more, consolidating some burn piles and mud matted in the main pond some, digging out the sludge. Here are some pictures of where I was working to repair the breach.
And these guys were part of the day, too...
Dry chem is ammonium phosphate, so somewhat corrosive. I'd flush with plenty of low pressure water to rinse it off, especially anything electric or the radiator. CO2 is not very effective, don't bother. Water is superior for equipment fires to cool off components and keep from rekindling. If you occasionally get near freezing, then a little antifreeze in the water is enough. You probably wouldn't want water if you had to run enough antifreeze to keep it liquid in real winter weather.
I survived my first excavator fire and and am improving my response capabilities as a result. I realized when the fire was burning and I went to get the fire extinguisher, that it was fairly close to where the fire was happening. I've now got one fire extinguisher on each side of the excavator. Here's how I mounted them.
last ones
Glad you are back in operation again. This insurance job I did last year on a 320 crispy critter wasn’t so easy.
That gives me the shivers...can't hardly wrap my head around how big of a job that had to be.
It was ugly. Now the boom is cracked in half. Has your boom cracked, yet?
Cracked??? As in I should expect it to? Is that a thing? If so, where do I watch for trouble?
Both the boom and the stick should be inspected regularly for signs of cracking. The stick particularly around the pivot pin between it and the boom. The boom both at the nose end where it pins to the stick, at the foot pins, and around the boom cylinder rod-end pin area.
The inner structure breaks first and then the shell cracks. You see on this boom where someone thought they fixed it, but it just keeps cracking. Cat has a procedure for repair. There are numerous threads on the HEF in regards. Something to watch for like Nige says.
The problem is that everyone tries to repairs cracks only working from the outside. When a structure is, as Coaldust says, cracked on the inside then repairing only the visible cracks is no solution. You have to cut holes in the structure and get inside and fix the root cause of the failure.
Mine was welded like this when I bought it I'm thinking it had a hammer on it as it has extra piping up front.i mounted my fire extinguisher behind the cab I bought a big one only place I could fit it I do have cat walks on the side.
Well over 10 years back I helped a bit with a rebuild on a ZX850 Hitachi. Everything from the rotec up was burnt. Only the undercarriage, main frame and boom/stick were reused. Entire machine was rebuilt from the rotec up. Massive job, I think I have pictures of it somewhere.