The throttle control on my CAT320C stopped working (no movement of the cables). I opened the unit and found the shaft stripped where it goes in and connect on the plastic wheel. I managed to repair it and have movement on the cables agian. The problem now is the throttle goes to the "full throttle" position the moment I switch the ignition on. Is there a way of "learning" the unit like on Hitachi? I'll appreciate it if somebody can explain the procedure to me.
Back when I worked for a CAT dealer, one of my customers was surprised that the cable was not available from CAT as a replacement part. CAT said at the time that the cable had to be factory timed, so it could not be replaced in the field. I think you have the same problem now, the unit is not timed correctly, and I do not think the CAT computer can adjust to it. Perhaps others will have better information for you.
Thanks for the reply, Lantraxco. A new unit from CAT is R26000 (roughly 2600 us dollars), at that price I will rather convert the machine to a manual (hand operated) throttle and hopefully it will be the end of throttle woes on the machine.
You may have got something wrong but, the throttle has to be calibrated. It will learn as is goes through the calibration procedure. Example 1= 1000rpm 2=1200 rpm. These numbers are not correct just examples. The calibration can be done through your monitor. It will require a dealer level password though. You might be able to find it but, I cannot give it out.
You can calibrate the throttle through the cab monitor but it will only adjust it so much and then it will tell you to adjust the cables. If you can get it close it will recalibrate. The service password is usually fff2.
Thanks Mobiltech, I will give it a go, hopefully it comes right. What is the procedure to enter the password and to calibrate the throttle? Sorry for all the questions, but I've no experience on Cat, this is my first one.
I managed to find a copy of the procedure to calibrate the throttle. After entering the password (password is correct) the next screen displays the word "service " which must be selected, but when I select "service" nothing happens, it doesn't respond not even if I try to go back to main screen. I have to switch the ignition off and on to return to main screen on the monitor. Any ideas?
I managed to run the calibration process, but it doesn't calibrate, it gives a fault "insufficient high idle". I don't know what it means. I've decided to fit a manual throttle, which works perfectly and is "Africa proof".
That means it isn't moving the throttle all the way open for full rpm.
Thanks Mobiltech. If I had more time I would have loved to get the throttle sorted out and keep the machine original, but I had a deadline to get the machine on site to start a long term contract. I will give it another go at calibrating the throttle when I have more time available.
Hi mate, I’m in the same situation with my 320C. I’m thinking of converting it to manual as well. Does that affect the load sensing in any way?
A 320C only has load sensing when the throttle is in the number ten setting.
320 is not load sensing but NFC
Brilliant, thanks. The gears in the governor actuator packed up, and the cables stopped moving completely. I’ve managed to repair the gears, and the motor seems to be working, but when fully assembled, the unit won’t move the accelerator cables. A new one costs about $1500 plus labour from Cat, so I’m thinking of just converting to a manual cable system. That shouldn’t do any harm to the machine should it? Thanks again.