I noticed recently a cyclic wobble when tracking, especially in rabbit mode...every rotation of the tracks would produce a "Watusi" wobble dance in the excavator. Some folks thought it might be a rock in the tracks...we determined today that a pad is "bent". It is jammed against another pad. It likely happened when I unknowingly perched on a hidden stump in the pond I have been dredging. There are lots of stumps where my grandfather cut down the timber before flooding the area to make his 20 acre pond (which I have inherited and am removing 70 years of sludge/buildup sediment). Any suggestions on how I can re-set the track? It has been recommended to have the track off the ground and jammed pad at the top center of a rotation and slowly set the weight of the machine down on a 4x4 post (about 48" high) to re-set the pad, to pop it up to proper position? Is that a doable thing? Or could I have the track off the ground and the jammed pads at center and use a shorter 4x4 (12") and set the pad down on it to force it to slip back into position? It was the weight of the machine that caused the problem...can that also fix the issue? I tried to reach the offending pad with the bucket tooth/shank...no joy.
You can't hit the track with the bucket? Must be the only one of it's kind.
I was trying from the side so that I could actually put direct pressure on the outside of the pad as I lifted up with a tooth. But the tooth won't reach from the side. Yes, the bucket will touch the track from the front, but when the bucket contacts the track pad from the front I don't think I can get the right kind of force exerted. Or maybe it is possible, has anyone done it like that?
I'd be surprised if you could straighten it cold without removing the pad and putting it in a press. Quick and dirty solution is to take a slice off the edge with a cutting torch.
Looks to me like you have 3 maybe 4 pads that are tweaked a bit. I would like to think if the machines weight or power did it, it should be reasonable to expect the machine, if done correctly, to undo it. Then the dent in my work truck bumper fixed itself okay but I think it could have done a better job, myself. lol
BFH?
Big ***kin Hammer… We call it an FBH on this side of the Pond. As @Cmark said, those track shoes will need to be removed and put in a press to straighten them.
Ahhh- I looked again at the pic and realized the bend is much more severe. May not be a job for the BFH/FBH. I agree removal of the pads and use of a press will likely be warranted. Hopefully you have access to a BFP...
In all prboability the track shoe bolts will be damaged. Budget for replacement hardware in addition to all the other work.
BFH for the temporary first fix. We'll have to try pad removal and straightening later.
Looks like my golf swing. lol
My bad shoulders say screw the BFH.......replace the pad with a nice aftermarket.
Yep. Pretty ugly, I agree. I had the cab rotated and was afraid of hitting the cab instead of the pad and then totally missed the freaking pad. That's probably about the same as couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Lordy!
Vetech... That is exactly where my thinking it started going in the last day or so. I was thinking of trying to get them straightened at a machine shop but I think I'd rather just buy a good used one or a new one if they're easy enough to find. Any suggestions on where to buy used on new track pads? Is there a downside to using the excavator for a few days now while I try to locate pads? I've been running it several days and didn't realize it was jacked up like that. I didn't realize there was an issue until I actually tracked at speeds down the road that induced the wobble.
Try Industrial Tractor Parts for an aftermarket. I believe they have a branch in Georgia. They will have the bolts and nuts also.
Awesome. Thanks for the lead. I will definitely check it out. Depending on the price I may buy several to replace them on both sides of the bent one because the other ones may have been tweaked a bit too.
In Jacksonville Fla. They will need to know your machine model and the width of your pad.
It's probably putting extra pressure on the track pins and bushings. Trim the edge off with a torch as Cmark suggested for now.
I sent them a query from their web page...probably hear from them tomorrow. Thanks
I cleaned the track pad and removed it today...I'll try to locate a new/used one tomorrow. The pad next to it might be "tweaked" a little. I'll try one pad for now and see how it does.
A few more...the shop table helps show the bend.
I tried putting the weight of the CAT on the pad but it was not enough...I may have had some weight on the base for the prop bar but getting angles to work with the bar were difficult.
Do you have a buddy with a 20 ton press? If nothing else, get yourself a 20 ton hydraulic jack. Set the pad on a couple of 6x6 under the track frame, in the middle under the boom. Have the blocks under each end of the pad with the bend up. Have the bucket full of dirt, stretched all the way out and leave it a few feet off the ground. Use the jack like a press and straighten the pads out. You will have to bend them quite a bit past straight so when you let off they will be mostly straight. It might take you a few tries.
Now that you have that pad off, doesn’t look too hard to get it straight. Might have to heat it up a bit.
That sounds interesting but I can't wrap my head yet around where all the parts go in relationship to each other. Do you mean set the 6x6s apart from each other under the front of the excavator in the center and have the pad as a bridge across between the six by sixes with the band up? And then put the bottle jack on top of the bend and it will push against the bottom of the excavator which will push down on the bent pad. Is the bucket extended and kept off the ground to act as a weight to help keep pressure down on the jack?
Yes.
CAT has a new triple grouser pad for $72. I ordered it and new bolts and nuts, supposed to be ready for pickup in the AM. I'll save trying to unbend my track pad for a rainy day after I get the pond finished. Thanks for the input on how to even approach that task.
If you have something solid to clamp or tack the pad to a little heat from a rosebud and few hits with a hammer will straighten it. Even better if you have a press. Then you have a spare pad if another one gets damaged.
For future reference when you need parts you can try regal or American crane and tractor. If you have part numbers you can got to bottom of home page on machinery trader and do a part number search.
Welderdave, that is my plan.. to straighten the pad and have it as a spare. I understand better now how to use the excavator as its home press so that will be interesting to try. I like the idea of a spare. I've still got a lot of driving to do on stumps so it may happen again. Thanks, 1466, for the tip on searching for parts. I do have the parts books and sis to help get part numbers.
Meh, 70 dollars for that sounds very reasonable.
At that price it’s hardly worth messing with. I would put the old pad on a couple thin plates on some solid ground and give it a love tap with the bucket.
I'd toss some dunnage on the track below, and a 20 ton jack, and heat it with a big rosebud. It would eventually bend sufficiently to relieve it till you could find a suitable replacement. Nige mentioned new hardware. That is a must, also clean and prep both the pad and rail before you marry them up for life. Anything in there will screw with the long term fit.
I checked around Monday morning to find a used one but wasn't having any luck. My local CAT dealer in Valdosta was able to have one ready for pickup the next day for $72. Sounded like a good deal to me. I got the new track and four new sets of nuts and bolts for $89 Tuesday morning and had the machine working again that afternoon. It took a bit to cipher that the nuts had a top and a bottom but I was able to look at the track nuts already there and figure out the proper orientation. I put on anti-sieze as directed by CAT. It seems to be doing fine. I appreciate everyone's input getting it done.