Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cat 320D

EMichaelB · 2024-06-15 15:59

Hello Can anyone help? , my Cat 320D LRR would not start the engine, there is no errorcodes in display and there is diesel on diselpump. It seem to be a electrical problem, there is not anything wrong with the starter, the starter runs but the motor will not start. It seem to the the shut off switch under the seat it is on, but this switch is not active.

Replies29
  1. #1Nige2024-06-15 16:39

    Post a Serial Number. You can have an electrical schematic.

  2. #2EMichaelB2024-06-15 17:04

    Thanks, here is the serialnumber: EJT00166

  3. #3Nige2024-06-15 18:21

    Check your messages.

  4. #4heymccall2024-06-15 18:26

    Did someone flip the emergency stop on the seat base? Red cover over metal toggle.

  5. #5EMichaelB2024-06-16 03:10

    This emergency stop is not activated. The heating element for air inlet is not activate when I activate the key, but I dont now if it scould be active in summertime? or only in winter when the temperature is low. The fuse and relays to the heating element is ok.

  6. #6EMichaelB2024-06-16 04:40

    I have an active error; 39: 590 - 9 Is there someone who can help me with an codelist?

  7. #7Nige2024-06-16 05:04

    The Engine and Machine ECMs are not communicating with each other. See attached troubleshooting procedure that you can use along with the electrical schematic.

  8. #8EMichaelB2024-06-16 05:25

    thank you ;-)

  9. #9EMichaelB2024-06-22 17:40

    Hi anyone Is there someone who can tell me witch voltage I measure between datalink cable green and brown to earth when things are perfect. I measure 1 V between brown cable and earth and 4 V between green cable and earth. It seems for me maybe some problems here? Is there anyone who nows the correct voltage to measure in this case?

  10. #10Nige2024-06-22 17:59

    You will require something like a Pico Scope or similar to analyse the correct (or not as the case may be) functioning of any datalink.

  11. #11EMichaelB2024-06-23 06:42

    ok Nige, I understand. I maybe have to call after help from CAT service... There is nothing wrong with the cables and contacts, i have followed the steps in the troubleshooting procedure so now I have to think about the Ecms in machine and engine. The escavator has been parked for 4 weeks and when i scould start up a got this errorcode and it is still active. It is strange.... there is only been one or two days with small rain falling.. In the same diagnostic time when I got errorcode 39-590-9 there has been a code 39-588-8, can you please post troubleshooting procedure for this errorcode. Thanks

  12. #12Nige2024-06-23 07:28

    Here's what a good CAN datalink looks like on a scope........

  13. #13Nige2024-06-23 07:30

    Are you sure it is 39-588-8.? 39-588-9 or 39-588-12 would be more likely.

  14. #14EMichaelB2024-06-23 08:09

    Sorry,, 39-588-9 is the right one…

  15. #15Nige2024-06-23 08:45

    588-9 is the Monitor System not communicating, just like the 589-9 was the Machine ECM not communicating. There appears to be a problem in the Datalink wiring and I am not sure even your dealer will have a scope available to properly troubleshoot it. The reason for that is the Cat troubleshooting procedures all revolve around testing continuity & resistance, and that will not always produce the desired results in respect of identifying the problem if there is water/humidity ingress and/or corrosion in one or more connectors. In truth a scope is needed to identify a datalink network that is not performing correctly under those conditions. Attached is the troubleshooting procedure for the 588-9. It is not from a 320D so you may find some wires are different numbers/colours on the procedure compared to your schematic. if that is the case defer to wire numbers/colours on the schematic. I suggest that anywhere the procedure instructs you to measure resistance that, in addition to that test with a multimeter, you also test the same wire by powering it via a 2A test light from Batt+ to machine frame ground. If you have a defective connection somewhere then it may show continuity on a DMM but it will not pass large amounts of current via a test light. I would suggest that you use the electrical schematic I sent to you and locate all the main harness connectors that the datalink wires pass through. This includes the connectors at each of the ECMs and at the Monitor connection. Once you have them located on the schematic, find each on on the machine. Open it and check for "green crusties" (corrosion). Treat as necessary with aerosol electrical contact cleaner plus something like a fine wire brush, then blow dry.with compressed air. Repeat this for each connector in turn right the way trhough the machine and see where that gets you. See Step 3B on the troubleshooting procedure. EDIT: Also don't forget to check the connections/resistance of the terminating resistors.

  16. #16EMichaelB2024-06-23 09:39

    thanks for the info I have 4 ohms in both cables data link cables from the machine to the engine ecm, do you still think there could be a bad connection somewhere?

  17. #17Nige2024-06-23 10:08

    i would say something like 0.4 ohms (or less) rather than 4 ohms, biut I've been wrong before. Personally the first thing I would do is go in there opening up connectors and cleaning, but you have to make sure you find every one - because the one you miss is 99+% likely to be the one with the problem.

  18. #18EMichaelB2024-06-23 16:02

    Hi Nige Very thanks for your help ... Today I have went trough all Connections and i have found very good contact in all of them but i have also take a new measurements of ohms in the cables. I have found one bad cable between machine ecm and the connector in cabin, I measure 1,5 ohm i this cable and 0,1 ohm on all the other cables in the datalink network. Do you think this cable is enough to give 39-590-9 ? Thanks in advance...

  19. #19Nige2024-06-23 17:08

    In which cable specifically (by wire number, and from where to where.?) did you find this measurement.? I still think you need to try loading the datalink cables using a test light connected to Batt+ at one end of the cable and with the other end of the cable connected to machine frame ground.

  20. #20EMichaelB2024-06-23 17:31

    Ok…,I have to buy a test lamp… It is in the brown cable from ecm machineconnecton to the monitor/display connection. In green cable I measure 0,1 Ohm from ecm machime to the monitor/display connection.

  21. #21Nige2024-06-24 05:17

    OK, so you are talking about wire 892-C121-BR coming from the Machine ECM. This could get complicated.......... Follow the 892-C121 from the Machine ECM to Grid I-13 on the schematic. Here you will find a splice where 4 wires join. 892-C121 from the Machine ECM 892-C143 from the Product Link (CONN 4) 892-C201 from the Engine ECM. 892-C48. This is the complicated one. First it goes from the splice to CONN 16 and exits that connector as wire 892-A31. From CONN 16 it continues to CONN 30 where it becomes 892-F98 and continues to Grid D-5 where there is another 3-wire splice. On side of the splice wire 892-F143 continues to the Diagnostic Port. From the other side of the splice wire 892 continues to the Monitor Panel as 892-F12. So the first question here is - Have you located, opened, inspected and cleaned connectors CONN 16 & CONN 30 yet.? If you don't have any aerosol electrical contact cleaner yet you should really get hold of some.

  22. #22EMichaelB2024-06-24 05:48

    Hi Nige. Thanks for mail. Both contact conn 16 and 30 are perfect. 892- F12 from monitor panel to conn 30 is the bad cable, I measure 0.7 in this. I dont tink this is the problem because it is so low measurment but I will tray to find the bad cable. It is inside the cabin so i hope i can find it. I maybe have to controll the power cables to machine ecm? What do you think?

  23. #23Nige2024-06-24 06:04

    I'm not sure I understand you. Can you explain a bit more.?

  24. #24EMichaelB2024-06-24 06:33

    I wonder if I schould check the 24 vdc power supply to the machine ecm? I think the bad cabel in the cabin from conn 30 to the socket with panel is to low to give 39-590-9. I measure 0.7 oms in this brown cable 892. In service mode i got from you troubleshooting error 590 is there 5 ohm as a level for good cable. In all other 892 i meadure 0,1 ohm. What do you think?

  25. #25Nige2024-06-24 06:58

    0.7 is good I think. Originally yesterday you were talking about 4+ ohms which is not so good. I would check the power supply to all the ECMs as part of the testing process.

  26. #26EMichaelB2024-06-24 07:08

    Yes, I do.. I have now got a universal meter from Fluke…so now i can do good measurments..

  27. #27EMichaelB2024-07-02 17:03

    Dear Nige I still have problems with my cat 320DLRR. I have found one defective resistor on can bus but I don`t N now witch one of resistors CAN 1 or CAN 2 I have found. I replace the one a found with a new one but there is still errorcode 39:590:9 . I understand there shall be 4 resitores, each on 120 Ohm. I have found 2 resistors in cabin, one with ET contact and one with the switch panel. Both of them 120 Ohm. I have found the one I replace in the mainswitch box but I cant`t find the last one. On the mashine Ecm I measure can bus 1 and can bus 2 between green and yellow wire , both have approx. 60 Ohms. I think that is ok? but is it this? I would like very much to find the last resistor. It is not in the main switch box. Can you read something out of the electrical drawning how to find it ? please let me now.. or you have other suggestion to solve the 39:590:9 Thanks in advance.. BR Eddie

  28. #28EMichaelB2024-07-02 17:07

    I forgot to tell..Cat service was on my cat with PC but they dont get in contact with the engine ecm. I think it is because the can bus CAN A is not working? ( is that can 1)

  29. #29Nige2024-07-02 17:25

    You should be able to identify which one you have found by the wire numbers at the connector for the resistor. They are the same colours (Yellow & Green) but for CAN 1 the wire numbers are 252 & 262, for CAN 2 the wire numbers are 251 & 261. The 3rd resistor of the same Part Number is in the Switch Panel, machine location 64 on the illustrations on Page 1. It is part of the cab wiring harness. The 174-3016 resistors are rated at 120 ohms each, but if you measure resistance across two of them in parallel you will only measure 60 ohms. See HERE for the calculator.