Hello All, I've been tasked to travel to an island in Alaska and repair a 320D Cat Excavator due to a crank no start. They have all the parts for the entire fuel system to be replaced. This is the CAT ACERT C6.4L engine approximately 2012 I'm curious on the fuel pump procedure and also injector procedure. I will have a diesel laptop that can connect to the machine. Any input on the fuel system repair would be appreciated. Tag # CAT0320DEPHX01519 I will get a Engine Serial # Tomorrow
As long as they have a COMPLETE injection pump and injectors, it autta be a breeze.. Just look up “inj pump timing” or “finding TDC”.. & of course, “Torque specs”.. (for injectors & pump drive) If they have piece parts for the pump, your sunk..
First question. How many hours on the engine.? What parts exactly do they have.? See below. If they don't have the parts for all 3 steps then it's not worth you making the trip out there IMHO. So here's the bad news. This is a C6.4 with a common rail fuel system. It is very intolerant of poor maintenance practices, especially failing to keep water out of the fuel system, which will trash expensive components in a relatively short space of time. Typically to resolve a "crank no start" on an engine with a fair few hours on it goes something like this...... 1. Replace the rail pressure relief valve and try starting it. 2. If Step 1 does not produce results throw a set of new injectors in it. 3. If Step 2 does not produce results replace the HP fuel pump with new.
Yes, They have new injection pump, injectors, pressure relief valve, fuel lines etc. Ok I will look up those procedures, Thank you
Thank you Nige The engine is at 4,000 hrs They have everything including HP fuel pump, injectors, relief pressure valve, fuel lines etc. I appreciate your 3 steps to follow. I will update as I go.
This is the Engine Serial Arrangement #
Do you have any timing codes? Hook up cat et, under the live data section look for injection disabled (under starting think) and see if it is on while cranking. Unhook one speed sensor and see if it starts. The last guy might not have timed the fuel pump correctly.
Awesome I will update as I go!
If you don’t have the injection disabled while cranking, view the rail pressure check to see if it is close to the desired pressure. It always sucks being the second guy on the job, try to run a line straight from a bucket of fuel to eliminate a clogged tank or suction leak.
Will do sir!