Lately when I start my 320D it sounds like the engine is cutting out about every 5-10 seconds the odd time stalling if I leave it. Almost as if you were to turn the key off and quickly turn it back on before it stalls. It only does it when it's cold. If I turn the throttle up past 1 for a couple seconds then back to 1 it idles perfect after that. If I cold start it and don't blip the throttle it will keep doing it. Very odd any ideas?? This thing is over maintained and only 2900hrs
Is this a new problem or has it always done it? By your description it sounds like it's in 'cold mode'. This is when the ECM alters the fuel mapping when the engine is below a certain temperature. They do sound a bit weird and rattly.
It's a new problem. I know what you mean when the intake air heater is on. This is different. It will stall out if I don't do what I described above. Definitely very strange
Without a serial number we're shooting in the dark. Does it start OK when it's hot.
Phx01510. Didn't do it this morning so it's intermittent
OK so it's a C6.4 Perkapillar engine. Does it start OK when it's hot.
When the engine is hot? Yes it starts perfect then
The C6.4 is a mitsi, the C6.6 is the Perkins.
Oh yep, fair enough. In that case I'm out. We've only ever rebuilt one common rail Mitsi and not really had any experience troubleshooting one.
The throttle probably needs calibrating you can do it through the dash go to service and the passcode is usually fff2 then calibrations and engine speed
Smr. It's funny you mention that I actually did that a couple weeks ago and seems it started shortly after. The last two times I've started it did not do it so I might be in the clear. I'm pretty sure it's not a common rail but I could be wrong
I changed my fuel filters today and noticed the manual hand pump wont pressure up to a fill lock. I can hear air hiss but for the life of me can figure out which line it's coming from. I wish it were fuel coming put it would be easier to spot. I'm thinking this has something to do with the idle issue.
Hi srjd ithink that the problem is in the fuel line,my be a worm hose or a conection,if the throttle have a problem the problem persist in hot mode but if you have air in the fuel line when the engine is cool this air cause the problem, when te air come out the engine works good
I think your right. I tried finding the air leak this morning. I can hear it everytime I push down on the hand primer. Does anyone know which line that would be. I would really appreciate the help