Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 320D or 320FL

Phantom970 · 2022-04-03 01:55

Iam interested in one of these 2012 320D 6500hrs 2016 320FL 7700hrs Similar purchase price I do 90% AG irrigation work Desilting channels, drains Laying Concrete pipes and structures Some tree work, push over and stack, rake up etc A lot of walking in the irrigation you CAT guys, and others, which would you prefer? Stability is a factor. I do a lot of heavy mud digging and dumping at full reach Is the 320FL just as stable as the D? It seems to have a shorter counter weight overhang? Would they have the same walk speeds? Fuel consumption is a big factor And lastly the electrical factor. Guessing the FL has more electrics and would the motor have pollution crap on it? I haven’t sighted either yet, they are 750km away, only looking at some crappy phone photos. The FL has been in Demo work so it’s abit rough. Don’t know how much hammer work. resale isn’t a factor as I will keep for a long long time.

Replies15
  1. #1ahart2022-04-03 07:45

    Without serial numbers, can’t get too specific but the 320D machine has the C4.2 engine without emissions controls and the 320F has the C4.4 engine with emissions controls. The F will have a lot more electronics on it than the D. The operating weight of the F claims to be 49200 LB and 44820 LB for the D. 3.5 MPH max travel speed for the F and 3.42 MPH max for the D.

  2. #2CM19952022-04-03 10:38

    I own an '11 321D LCR with 8K plus hours and a '18 325 FL with 3K plus hours on it and my advice if the machines are in comparable shape and close in hours - go with the D. Bought the '11 321D in '14 with 1400 hrs on it. The two biggest repair items were duocone seals which Cat covered under warranty and a water pump we just replaced last month... I have forgotten how many issues we've had our 325FL that we bought new. The biggest issues are emissions/DEF related. Had the Cat truck out 3 times for sensors and an EGR valve. The first 2 were covered under warranty except for the travel time, the third trip was not under warranty. Those 3 trips cost around $10K total. Looking to trade the 325FL in on a new 325 with an extended warranty. The 321DL will be sold when I die and the old lady gets rid of it in an estate sale.

  3. #3skyking12022-04-03 12:59

    CM1995's experience is valuable stuff there. No or less emissions would tilt the scale pretty hard for me, and if I did not need zero or short tail I have always preferred a machine with a traditional counterweight in that size.

  4. #4JPV2022-04-03 16:09

    In my opinion the D series is as good as they get for Cat. That isn't to say they they don't have problems but way fewer then any emission machine.

  5. #5CM19952022-04-03 18:51

    Agreed. Owned 2 - 315DL's, 321DL and a 325DL. The 325DL was probably the best hoe I've ever owned. Just the right size, powerful and enjoyable to run. The C models were good machine as well but they are getting long in the tooth for business type work.

  6. #6Phantom9702022-04-06 04:46

    Thanks guys and cm1995 Thats exactly what I need from owner operators Iam very disappointed in the dealer. I just can’t get the info I need from them. Re: detailed photos and information. Feel like name and shame them Have organised a bloke to do a pre purchase inspection on both late next week. I have used him before, he is very good. I can’t go personally and don’t want to as Iam busy digging. there’s hardly any 20 tonners available at the moment on the east coast of AUS in the hrs and price bracket Iam working on, so I will persevere with these two machines.

  7. #7murfdog2022-04-06 07:38

    I picked up a 320 cl a few months ago with 72 hrs. on it, verified by cat, just couldn't resist. It didn't have aux. hydraulics but I cured that.

  8. #8CatCrovalley2024-11-19 08:22

    What did you put on for aux. Hydraulic’s?

  9. #9murfdog2024-11-20 07:00

    I had a hydraulics shop add the hard lines and diverter valves to get extra flow for a montabert rock drill, which was very close to the same requirements for my hammer, worked out well

  10. #10Shimmy12024-11-20 08:18

    What are you currently running?

  11. #11CM19952024-11-20 10:09

    How much did it run if you don't mind me asking? I have a 321DL that doesn't have aux. and I would love to run our hammer on it.

  12. #12murfdog2024-11-20 17:31

    12k if I'm remembering correctly plus fittings and hoses

  13. #13Lagwagon2024-11-20 18:06

    The F may not have emissions controls, I have a feeling it doesn’t, its different here in Aus, all the latest Cat models have them but not sure about a 2016 model, ATM only Cat & Hitachi have ad-blue in this size class machine, Volvo are transitioning now.

  14. #14Lagwagon2024-11-20 18:22

    Try living in WA There was literally 1 machine in my price range and hrs when I was looking in June and because of an incompetent salesman I drove an 8hr round trip to find out I couldn’t view it and it sold the next day. At the moment in Aus it only makes sense to buy new IMO, used prices are far too high. Volvos are going cheap atm, there’s only 6 of the D-model left in the country new then the rest will have add-blue in the 230 model, the last I heard they were whacking on an extra year to the warranty. I spoke with Local sales manager a couple weeks ago and he said they can taylor a warranty to suite your hours, e.g 5 years, 6000 hrs or 7 years 4000hrs etc. I was quoted $194,000 for a new d-model but with no buckets, hitch etc.civil specced out. Thats 127k USD!

  15. #15Lagwagon2024-11-20 19:01

    Oh man, I only just read the initial date of the post . Phantom did you end up buying a machine?