Hello people of the forum. I hope I can find here some answers about the problem I am having with an Cat 320DL excavator. I have seen a lot of similar problems in the forum, and I tried most of the solutions that were given and non of them worked. Problem: The engine is difficult to start, I have to use some starter spray. Then, when you put some hydraulic load the engine stall. The only error code that I get is 36: 617-5 and that is from the air heater. I read and I watched some videos about the same issue and here are some of the things I´ve already done: - Change fuel and air filters. - Change power shift valve. - Change speed sensors of the engine. - Change pump pressure sensor (it was giving wrong signal). - Measure the current that the ECM is sending to the power shift, and the current is almost constant. I have the feeling that the problem is here, because from what I read this current should be variable according to the load of the pumps. My question is, how can I test if the power shift is receiving the correct current and how much it should be? Thank you very much, Agustin.
You can test the power shift pressure at the hydraulic pump. Should increase under load. You will need a 600 psi gauge. I would be wondering about the hard starting being related to a low power problem.
I had the same problem engine does not cranking without spray ventilation, by after starting there was no lack of power in it, what's the problem?
The serial number is needed to understand which 320D machine we are talking about. The Power Shift solenoid is a proportional solenoid. The ECM uses a pulse width modulated signal (PWM) to vary the current that is sent to the solenoid. You can run PowerShift calibration via the monitor and play with the minimum and maximum current values. And first you need to 100% understand whether the problem is in the engine or in the pump.
The power shift pressure at the monitor is constant. I would try to measure it at the hydraulic pump.
Serial Nº: A8F00985. But, even if it is a PWM, I understand that I should see changes of current measuring with a multimeter. I would try that calibration. I am not 100% sure which one is the problem.
Update, we did the PowerShift calibration and worked well.
Just to clarify, the PowerShift worked well, the machine is still not working.
You also need to check the Backup Switch, behind the right armrest. If it is enabled, Power Shift will not work in standard mode.
(12) Backup Controls
Hello Dmitry, I checked and it is in Auto Mode.
Hello. Regarding the poor start of your C6.4. When Common Rail injectors fail, they start to bypass fuel into the return line, which is why the start is poor. Only replacing the injectors helps. Don't you think that the reason for the engine stopping at no power is a malfunction of the fuel system? And one more important point. You wrote that you changed the Power Shift Solenoid. Did you calibrate it for minimum and maximum pressure with a pressure gauge? Or did you just play with the calibration settings?
Yes, one possibility that I am taking into account is that the fuel system is not working. I am waiting for some sensors and parts to test. I change the solenoid from another same machine that was working fine.
Update: We tested current and hydraulic pressure at the Power Shift. Current is stable at 7.1mA (using 200mA scale at multimeter), and pressure is stable at 3900psi. If I load the machine to the maximum, both current and pressure stays the same, but the engine start to stall.
You are testing the wrong pressure. The prv won’t be over 400 psi. The prv does not control pump output pressure , it controls pump flow as in gallons per minute.
Sorry, my bad. The pressure was 560psi. I was measuring in the quick release coupling at the top of the solenoid. We are now working on the fuel part of the engine.
I think your measuring pilot pressure. Prv is measured on the main pump . Checking the engine fuel problem is a good idea.
Here is a pic of the prv pressure tap number 37.
okey, I see. Also in that picture says that 37 at the bottom is the power shift pressure.
I am wonrking now on the problem of the start of the engine. I found a test for the fuel transfer pump, it says that should be above 250mL, but I am not finding how to do that test, which pipe should I disconnect or from where I can take that measure. This is what I found, but it is only the dismount and mount of the pump.
If the Common Rail engine starts with ether, and does not start without ether, then in principle this test is not needed. If there is a CAT ET, then you can check the Fuel Rail Pressure during startup, as a rule, it is low.
There is another way to identify a faulty fuel injector. You need to plug the fuel lines of the injectors on the Fuel Rail one by one. When the faulty injector is plugged, the engine starts. You can plug 5 injectors, and the engine will start on two or even one working cylinder. But for this, you need plugs in place of the tubes in the Fuel Rail.
Wouldn't it be easier to watch supply fuel pressure in the monitor? That's how I determine if it's supply related on my C4.4 and C6.4 machines.
The Fuel Rail Pressure cannot be viewed on the monitor of this series of excavators.
I think I didn´t fully understand this. The engine does not start without some helper spray. Then it works "normally", but with no power. I am waiting for the ET to check the injectors. Last time we run an injector test, and when we reach Nº 5 the engine stopped.
Not the rail pressure. The supply pressure. I know it can be seen in the 320D we had and my 314D that we had. Like this 342.5kpa = 50psi
I cannot see that in my dashboard. I can see the pressure of the hydraulic pumps, but not the fuel ones.
Yes, this low fuel pressure can be seen on the monitor. But when the engine starts with only ether, it is usually related to Fuel Rail Pressure. Fuel Rail Pressure can only be seen with CAT ET.
To see low fuel pressure, go to the menu Service -> Diagnostic -> Analog in Status. Password FFF2
Thank you for password, and please help me why is 320D when excavating its stalls
And whats the normal fuel pressure
I dont have the number at the moment, but...whatever it is at idle, it shouldn't drop more than, say, 5 psi, at full throttle, 2 pump stall.
Because when engine starts good but when trying excavating lifting load the engine stops it turns off.
50psi