Brand new to me 320EL S/N: WBK02782. Hydraulic temp shows 30deg F ( I made sure Fahrenheit) and engine shows normal temps in F. Outside temp in the mid 80's but not operating the hydraulics hard using a thumb and the bucket only. Obviously no way it's 30 and I never saw it move from that. Diagnosis process? Start by changing temp sensor? Not concerned about low temperature but it doesn't change readings and obviously I would want to know if it's too warm. I do not have an operators or service manual yet but will be looking right away. Thanks
The basic Operation & Maintenance Manual is Cat Publication reference SEBU8583. Lists at $115, you may find one cheaper on an internet marketplace. A Service Manual is KENR9690. This will contain SEBU8583 but retails at over $1100 in paper or $800 on a CD. Again try searching. Start by looking for any clues in the Diagnostic Codes would be my first thought rather firing the Parts Cannon. See the attchment.
Thanks a bunch Nige. I'm really bad about the parts cannon now days. :-( I did not see any codes related to this earlier but will check again and verify. Found a service manual on Ebay for $499. Would really rather have a CD though except for the operators manual which I'd rather have paper in the machine. Will report back what I find.
Do you have a link, because I did a brief search and couldn't find one.
Caterpillar 320E 323E Hydraulic Excavator Full Service Manual | eBay Customizable Orders - Need specific sections?. Expert Assistance - Our team of specialists is ready to help you choose the right manuals to resolve any issues with your machinery. Caterpillar 236D 242D 246D 262D 272D Power Train Service Manual Disassem Assem. ebay.us
I get the feeling that's not a genuine manual. The ad sets off my BS detector. Why would they be selling something new for $500 that in genuine OEM new form retails for more than double that.? If it was a used manual then the financials might make more sense. Normally a paper manual would appear in at least one photo as the usual Cat buff-coloured binder containing all the manual sections. The watermark on some of this seller's photos relate to an outfit I've cone across before based in Eastern Europe who offered really cheap manuals (allegedly new genuine OEM) that generally left buyers universally disappointed. Strangely enough when I tried to look at their eBay store it came up as "not available". I wonder if your linked eBay seller is the latest iteration of the one I know that has either closed down or been closed down by eBay for shady practices.?
All VERY good points. Thanks for taking the time to research that.
No worries. The last thing I want is for someone to get shafted.