Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 320L 1992 Starting issues

leewald ยท 2026-07-13 22:14

1992 Cat 320L Excavator starts good, runs well. When I shut it off it won't start again. Engine cranks good, fuel is in all lines. After 2-3 hours wait it will start good, run good, lots of power, no problems. Shut it off, won't start again unless I wait a few hours. No error codes on display. What's the problem?

Replies9
  1. #1Simon C2026-07-13 23:02

    Have been told by a pump rebuilder that that is a sign of pump worn out. He said that if with the pump off by pouring cold water on it it would go again, then they knew it was worn out. Might not be actually true, but was told that. On the other hand does it have a fuel solenoid that gets too hot and won't energize until it cools down. Maybe the pull winding won't actuate when everything is hot. Heat does increase resistance, especially in the hot summer months. Post a picture of the Fuel Pump and you might get more info. Simon C

  2. #2leewald2026-07-13 23:04

    It has a fuel solenoid but don't think that's the issue. I tried to tie it open with zip ties and it still didn't work.

  3. #3heymccall2026-07-14 01:12

    After a warm no-start, remove the fuel cap. Should be no "whoosh".

  4. #4leewald2026-07-14 23:08

    Spoke to the operator and here's how it started: bucket cylinder nut came off/threads stripped. Removed and repaired cylinder. Installed it and cycled it in and out two times. After the second cycle, cylinder stopped moving/no response. All other hyd functions worked fine. Machine was shut off and wouldn't start again. This is when the starting problems began. When the engine cranks and doesn't start, it cranks normally for about one revolution of the engine then immediately 'lugs' down as if the battery were dying rapidly, as if there was a load on the engine. Could it be hydraulic lock? Some debris got into a spool and doesn't release the hydraulic pressure? After a few hours the pressure is released and the engine starts.

  5. #5Simon C2026-07-15 10:04

    You posted in your first post that the engine cranks good, on post #5 it cranks good for 1 revolution, then lugs down. Are your batteries falling flat or is there a spool stuck open that is creating hydraulic load. More testing needed before buying parts. How many amps on the starter cable on start up may help tell some. Would pull the hydraulic filter and check for remnants of the stripped threads cause if any got there, some may be jamming something up also. There could of been quite a few small pieces floating in the system. Simon C

  6. #6leewald2026-07-15 12:49

    Found a spool that was stuck. Removed it and found some debris, so I'm thinking hydraulic load was slowing the engine down.

  7. #7Simon C2026-07-16 09:59

    Thats why I posted about ^ #5 about something from striped threads jamming something up. I once went to a Ingersoll Rand large Packer to install a new starter. When I showed up they had the battery disconnected and said just change the starter. So I did and when it went to start, it did not start. After multiple attempts I removed a cover to see front pulley turn about 3 rotations clockwise and then reverse the same amount. They were yelling that it was a faulty starter, I told them know there is a problem in the hydraulics building pressure. Turned out the Hydraulic Filter was full of pure cuttings. Junked the packer at just over 6000 hours, they had just bought from Auction without oil samples. Was a good warning lesson for me. I would pull and inspect your Hydraulic filter if you haven't already. Simon C

  8. #8leewald2026-07-16 13:27

    I pulled a spool and found a rag wrapped around it. The operator had removed the cylinder, had it fixed, then reinstalled and somehow forgot there was a rag stuffed somewhere.

  9. #9Simon C2026-07-16 14:20

    That would do it. Thanks for the true cause. Simon C