Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 324E – High Rail Pressure E396 (2) (serial number PNW01494)

RightTrack ยท 2026-07-31 10:08

CAT 324E (PNW01494) Only active code is E396. When you have the machine at high idle and stall out a hydraulic function and then release the joystick back to the neutral position, and active E396 code appears for about 5 seconds then goes away. While monitoring the rail pressure at high idle and stalling machine, you have around 26000 psi. The second you release the joystick back to neutral the rail pressure spike to around 28000-29000 psi which is when the code appears. Things I have checked/replaced: 1. no air in system 2. Electric Fuel Lift Pump appears to work just fine 3. All fuel filters have been replaced 4. (OEM) Rail PSI Sensor has been replaced 5. Have completed a High Pressure Fuel Pump Calibration 6. Tested the Transfer Pump Inlet Regulator (passed) 7. Fuel rail return likes are not blocked or kinked 8. Replaced the fuel rail relief valve 9. replaced the injection pump fuel control valve (358-2586) 10. All wiring to and from rail pressure sensor and fuel control valve test out just fine After checking all these things out I eventually took the fuel rail return line completely off and got the machine to throw the high rail psi code again. After doing so i looked at the rail relief valve that still had no hose attached and it was completely dry, no fuel came out. This happened after i already replaced the relief valve with a new one. I used our borescope the rail itself and there were no blockages. Running out of ideas. any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies4
  1. #1Nige2026-07-31 11:25

    Maybe the attached might give you some ideas. It would appear that you are going to need ET to troubleshoot this one. Also note the recommendation to download a Product Status Report before clearing any Events/Codes or commencing troubleshooting. If you can do that post it up to let everyone see it.

  2. #2RightTrack2026-07-31 12:09

    Here is the original PSR. The E583 Codes has been fixed. That M0076072-06 Media number is what i have been going off of and I'm not sure what I have missed. Specifically what should I be using my ET for? I'm not sure where to go from here.

  3. #3Nige2026-07-31 12:34

    Apologies. I wasn't trying to reinvent the wheel but in your OP you didn't mention this document or the fact you had access to it. I thought it might be useful. One thing that does jump out is that there have been no less than 4 updates to engine software since 4459527 that I can see. It appears that the latest is 5159809 but I wouldn't guarantee that something newer isn't available. Similarly the Machine software progression appears to be 5124818 or newer. I've seen so many updates intended to address "phantom" Events/Diagnostic Codes that I would always recommend ensuring the software in at least the Engine & Machine ECMs is the latest available just to rule out the possibility you might be chasing a ghost.

  4. #4Deimos2026-07-31 14:53

    Have you checked the rail pressure with a mechanical gauge? Sometimes the actual pressure may not match the sensor readings, and there can be many reasons for this. Such rail pressure surges are not typical for a properly functioning C7.1. Run the "Fuel Rail Pressure Test" using CAT ET. This test should pass. And as Nige correctly noted, install the updated flash files Engine 5159809.FL2 and Machine 5301736.FL2.