Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 325c restricted fuel filter message

Plummer194 · 2025-03-26 17:52

Have a 3126b in a 325c excavator. Just replaced the injectors and Heui pump due to failure. Heui pump came with transfer pump on the new unit. New fuel filters and oil filter. I only use cat advanced efficiency filters. While I was in there I changed the fuel regulator and a new engine harness due to the wire casing cracking and falling off everywhere. I have plugged fuel filter message on the monitor. On cat et I have E005 Fuel Filter Restriction Derate E095 Fuel Filter Restriction Warning Code sets when fuel pressure drops below a certain value for 10 seconds. Is it possible all the air is not worked out the system due to the injectors and pump being replaced or a bad fuel pressure sensor. Has anyone ran into this. Thanks Serial number is bmm00685 This message did not display before the work was done that I am told I manage a fleet. Message comes up about 5 mins idling or more. Haven’t ran the excavator out of the shop as I’m waiting for a undercarriage

Replies19
  1. #1Simon C2025-03-27 11:23

    Exact same problem here a couple weeks ago. Machine dead and no fuel, they changed the filter, it ran 2 minutes and died. More than a day later they found the new filter was hit with a big gulp of garrbage and plugged again. Better prove how good the fuel flow is. Simon C

  2. #2Plummer1942025-03-28 04:56

    Thanks Simon, ran it yesterday in the shop a little and light didn’t return. Going to change fuel filter and check line from tank for sediment where it connects to tank.

  3. #3Plummer1942025-04-22 16:18

    Got back to the machine checked the fuel pressure at the secondary fuel filter compu fitting I installed I have 70-75 at all times. Operator said machine was working good all day until he lifted a piece of cement pipe it lost power. Had fuel pressure gauge installed and pressure didn’t drop below 68-70psi when it bogged down. Tried to replicate the problem and it couldn’t get it to do it again. So I’m sure it’s not fuel related but the the restricted fuel filter message came on again and didn’t go off. It wasn’t on all day until it acted up. Can’t wrap my head around this. There is a fuel psi difference between et and the gauge. All I have is these error and event codes. Logged errors 69: 376-05 Logged events 24: 100 24: 95 24: 5

  4. #4Nige2025-04-22 16:34

    That's the travel alarm so you don't need to worry about that. Got a screen shot.? Is the gauge plugged into somewhere right close to where the fuel pressure sensor is located.? Is the gauge "known good".?

  5. #5Plummer1942025-04-22 16:46

    Yep travel alarm is no issue. I plumbed into the filter in this location (picture below) which is a bit far from the fuel pressure sensor as this is in the compartment and the sensor is under the grid heater on the engine. The above pictures are of the et fuel pressure reading at the same time the gauge was installed as pictured. Also is it the fuel pressure sensor that makes the monitor give the fuel filter plugged message. I see no other sensor other than the WIF sensor on or near the fuel filters. Also tried the fuel cap and the vent is working. Now I don’t know if the fuel pressure sensor is in the line that comes from the transfer pump to the filter head on the secondary fuel filter or from the secondary fuel filter to the cylinder head port for the injectors. I would assume the line to the cylinder head or I would have the same as the gauge reading on et unless the sensor was bad. The gauge is also new.

  6. #6Nige2025-04-22 17:23

    E100 - Low engine oil pressure warning. E095 - Fuel filter restriction E005 - Engine derated because of E095. Is the engine software updated.? See SEPD0822. It was introduced after the BMM-prefix machine went out of production.

  7. #7Nige2025-04-22 17:31

    I think no. Not 100% sure though. The fuel pressure sensor is #8 right next to the ECM.

  8. #8Plummer1942025-04-22 18:39

    I will have to check tomorrow on et. What version is on it

  9. #9Plummer1942025-04-22 18:42

    yep that’s where it is I will see where I can take fuel pressure reading close to it. Tomorrow. Now will that event 005 derate the engine intermittently and cause this issue. If that makes sense

  10. #10Nige2025-04-22 19:19

    It makes perfect sense. I was going to suggest that maybe you are chasing a ghost if the machine is experiencing E005 engine derates as a result of the plugged fuel filter warnings that themselves could be spurious if the engine software has not yet been updated. The Service Magazine gives information on what the new trip poi nts are but not say what the previous ones were. The new trip point for fuel pressure is 245kPa (35.5psi).

  11. #11Plummer1942025-04-23 04:50

    Also I was just sitting here thinking I changed the harness on the engine. Does that oil pressure seem high on et. The oil pressure sensor and fuel pressure sensor are the same part number. I’m wondering if I mixed the plugs up. Oil pressure is darn close to the manual fuel pressure gauge psi.

  12. #12Nige2025-04-23 09:02

    It's quite possible. The two 3-wire sensors for oil & fuel pressure are both the same Part Number for a start. The only way to differentiate between the two is the colour of the sensor signal wire on the machine harness side of the 3-pin connector. Fuel pressure signal is a Pink wire #C991. Engine oil pressure signal is a Yellow wire #C990.

  13. #13Plummer1942025-04-23 11:05

    I was out this morning to check I didn’t have a chance to post. 100% had them backwards one of the plugs on the harness had the white label fuel filter on it. The other one was not labeled. Funny how that came to me as soon as I woke up this morning at 5am. All good now I appreciate the input Nige. Great having a forum to bounce around ideas. Cheers

  14. #14Nige2025-04-23 11:21

    Let 'er rip and see how she goes from now.

  15. #15HarleyHappy2025-04-23 12:08

    That’s because you were dreaming of the machine and its problems and it came to you in a dream and it was with you when you woke up. lol

  16. #16mike holcomb2025-04-23 14:04

    Don't forget to drain off bottom of fuel tank. None of our guys do it and we have 1 machine that constantly plugs fuel filters mid way between oil changes. Nice catch finding the issue

  17. #17Gary Layton2025-04-23 17:14

    You and Nige make a great team! Good sleuthing, all!!!

  18. #18Gary Layton2025-04-23 17:15

    So...if I dream of Raquel Welch, then when I wake up....???

  19. #19Plummer1942025-04-23 17:55

    Haha only if it worked like that eh!!