Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 330 bl excavator clogged primary filter

Rob Toro · 2024-12-21 21:23

Hello everyone, here from Ontario Canada. Im having trouble starting my 1997 cat 330 bl excavator. This problem started 3 days ago while running machine it sounded like running low on fuel, then engine shut down. It was a dirty fuel and water separator and primary filter that’s under the priming pump. I cleaned them both and put a new fuel filter. machine started no problem after priming fuel. Now today it shut off again and I preformed same maintenance cleaning out fuel water separator and primary filter except the fuel filter because it’s new. and also removed outlet hose from under fuel tank and blew compressed air through and there was no dirt inside. So I’m thinking how can the outlet hose be clean and water separator be clogged with gummy yellow grime. Any ways I put the hose back and primed fuel but this time it doesn’t want to start. Its got a strong crank with new batteries. Then after primming the 8th time sounded like it was gonna start and seen a little white smoke but no start. I even tried some either. Anyone have an idea what could problem be?

Replies13
  1. #1Coaldust2024-12-21 21:29

    “except the fuel filter because it’s new” The secondary fuel filter is plugged with the contaminated fuel. I would drain the tank and start over. Or, you will chasing your tail until the cows come home.

  2. #2pittsburgh cat man2024-12-21 22:01

    How cold is it up there almost sounds like your fuel is geling up

  3. #3Nige2024-12-21 22:03

    When did you last drain the water and other debris from the fuel tank.? As @Coaldust mentioned I would also start there first because that’s the place where the fuel starts it journey to the engine.

  4. #4Coaldust2024-12-21 22:03

    Good point on the gelling.

  5. #5Rob Toro2024-12-21 22:33

    ok I’ll drain and flush tank, and check and replace secondary filter. sounds like common sense.

  6. #6Rob Toro2024-12-21 22:50

    not to cold when it first stalled 3 days ago was only 35F. Today it’s 14F. I’m not that far north here in Toronto

  7. #7pittsburgh cat man2024-12-21 22:56

    when you drain the tank see if it looks cloudy maybe a lot of paraffin in the fuel

  8. #8Rob Toro2024-12-21 23:01

    I never drained the fuel tank. I’ll take your advice and try that.

  9. #9Rob Toro2024-12-21 23:13

    Ok got it, I’ll keep an eye on it. I never had this problem with a fuel tank. thanks cat man have a good one and happy holidays

  10. #10pittsburgh cat man2024-12-21 23:22

    happy holidays to you also

  11. #11Nige2024-12-22 07:56

    To clarify I’m not suggesting you drain all the fuel in the tank. Open the tank drain valve and let it run until the fuel coming out is clear and uncontaminated with water or dirt.

  12. #12DoyleX2024-12-22 13:11

    cut your filters open and have a look see. If you have brown slime on the filter you have other problems

  13. #13Gary Layton2024-12-23 16:23

    You should look at fuel starvation first, I think. I have a CAT 320CL, 2006...bought it 2 years ago. It ran strong until I had recent service done (head gaskets replaced and hydraulic PRV things fixed). I got it home and it ran great for about an hour then started bogging down under any load. CAT/Yancey took it back to the shop and found this...it was tank gunk...rust, algae, whatever. They removed the fuel tank, pressure washed it, cleaned out fuel lines, changed filters, etc. Now it runs great. Check your fuel system.