Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 330 DL Engine Overheating

Ngigimc ยท 2016-01-07 05:47

We recently acquired a Used CAT 330DL excavator. The Machine started overheating after one our Operation and shutting down. We removed the radiator for Clean by pressure. Checked that the Cooling fan speed was responding well. We have also checked the Coolant circulation pump which run ok. the problem still persist. We called a CAT technician with E-cat Tool, but he said the machine was ok. Recommended opening of the Cylinder head which we did all measurements were fine. Thermostat is fine. Please help as the most work we can do per day is cumulative 3Hours. I have a very big backlog of work. Will appreciate all help. Hydraulics temperature is at 6 bar. Engine overheats and shuts down.

Replies5
  1. #1Mobiltech2016-01-07 09:08

    You should check the temperature drop or difference between the top and bottom rad hose when it is running hot.

  2. #2Nige2016-01-07 10:39

    Agreed. Do you have an infrared thermometer you can use to measure the temperature of the hoses in question..? The difference should be at least 10 degrees Celsius.

  3. #3AntonioRocha2016-01-07 13:57

    I had a problem it a 320 and was the temperature valve giving erratic data, and had a 325 that had the radiator clean for the outside but inside was full of rust beacause of the low quality anti-freez

  4. #4Ngigimc2016-01-08 02:38

    Thanks Nige and Mobiltech. I am sure I cold one IR thermometer today and do the measurement. I will get back to you. Is it ok If run a commercial descaling fluid thro the system just to make sure it is clean internally.

  5. #5Nige2016-01-08 09:41

    I would say a qualified yes so long as you don't leave it in there too long. If it attacks aluminium you need to be doubly careful. TBH I would check the hose temps first then think about what action to take. These machines are known for accumulating debris in between the radiator and the hydraulic oil cooler which significantly reduces air flow and leads to overheating. It might pay you to pull the complete cooling package out and thoroughly clean it before proceeding further.