I am looking to upgrade my excavator. I currently have a ZX 330 Hitachi with 16000 hours on it. Has anyone compared a cat 330d or 325d FM with a 330 Hitachi? Will the cat d-series outperformed a Hitachi? I do mechanical site prep during the winter and I need a machine that can multifunction with good cycle times and stick power. And also stand up to harsh conditions. Any advice is much appreciated
I've run Hitachi's most of my excavating career, 29 years. My opinion is they are as good as it gets, that being said I've been building road with Cat 330's (330c's and 330d's as well as a 568) for the last 5 years. I've grown to appreciate these machines for how tough they are! They are really well built stout machines, the 568 is plagued with emission related down time. I just retired a 330c with 20,000 hours, currently running another with 14,000 hrs. If you have a 16,000 hr machine what did it cost you to get there? The D series Cats are old models now as the 336 has taken their place. For me I'd rather run a Hitachi.
They all have their problems but lately I've heard of and seen plenty of issues with the Isuzu engines. The Cat 568 is the machine that most want down here now days. The Deere loggers were hot a few years ago but demand seems to have fallen back as they age. I'm in awe of how many hours companies are putting on logging machines now days.
I bought this 2002 ZX330 3 years ago for 30 grand and put $45 000 worth of parts in it. Pulled the pumps 3 times that first winter, twice because of the pump drive bearings and once to replace a pump. It seemed like I had to do those bearings every 400 hrs or so. I think I have fixed it now, I replaced the housing all bearings and gears. Had to replace another pump this winter, so has it 3rd new pump in three years. The engine has been great so far. The hydraulics seem good now, decent cycle time, but as soon as you put the attachment in the ground it slows down big time. Like its got to build up pressure from 0. I've heard the Cat D series have really good cycle times and also sit better than other machines. Their boom and stick are heavier too. I'm not familiar with the 568 but I'm thinking it's a bit pricy for short season I work. Any idea what size it would compare to?
Hoeguy Are you running the FM's or the regular cat hoe? How do you find the cat's multifunction capability, cycle time boom up, stick out, swing and travel?
I've put countless hours over the years on both the Cat 330c's & d's as well as the deere/hitachi 330's. The hitachi is the best on fuel hands down, the deere 2nd and the Cat is usually the thirstiest. I find the deere/hitachi functions to be smoother and more responsive, the cat's a little less refined. They all seem to hour about the same, cat undercarriage is probably the best oem quality out there. I'm currently on a pipeline job that is all cat 336's, 345's and 349's, I was the lucky fella they saved the hitachi 470 for . I own a Deere 2554 hoechucker (270 boom&stick, 330 undercarriage, 330 drive&swing motors, power clam) thats over 14,000 hrs on it, works daily still with just the regular maintainence. That being said the Deere 350D is getting affordable, very durable and very quick for it's size. Far prefer them over the 330's & 336's
John Deere 350D, is that like a 3554? When I update I'd like to go with an already guarded machine. The service I get at Brandt isn't something you'd brag about. I wouldn't be too fussy if I could find something that didn't need something major every 400 hrs.
I'm not sure on the 3554 other than what I've read, it's about 65 hp more and 20,000 lbs heavier than my 2554. Here's the specs A hitachi zx350 may also be a forestry based roadbuilder option
Here's a couple links just for examples http://www.marketbook.ca/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=17237743&LP=MAT http://www.marketbook.ca/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=12108183&LP=MAT
Anyone an idea how much quicker a 325d would be to a 330d road builders? How much arm force would I lose going from 330 13ft arm to 325 10ft arm (stick) ? I do lean towards cat but I'm not crossing out Hitachi.