Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 3406 engine

john hofer ยท 2015-04-04 18:19

1993 3zj490?2 would that be a 3406b, Have coolant in oil ,runs rough,any clues where i should start. cant read the 2nd last number

Replies14
  1. #1Shimmy12015-04-04 18:57

    Sleeves and pistons probably. Overhaul time.

  2. #2chevota842015-04-04 19:31

    Could be either a b or c. Whats the pump look like?

  3. #3Shimmy12015-04-04 19:53

    '93 is going to be a "B" maybe with PEEC, maybe not. Best way to tell is does it have a linkage rod to the pump for the throttle. Rod=mechanical "B" or "C". Wires=more than likely a "B" with PEEC. There were some C's with PEEC, but very few. The "C" is basically a mechanical 3406E. I believe they came out mid to late 90's.

  4. #4chevota842015-04-04 20:21

    94 was the first year for the E, late 80's to 94 were the PEEC engines. A C will be a PEEC unless it's been converted, the 3zj block number was used in C's and late B's.

  5. #5Shimmy12015-04-04 21:08

    According to what I found, anything with a serial 3ZJ16182 and after is a "C".

  6. #6Blk prince2015-04-04 22:19

    John hofer,had similar problem with1992 Frt Liner. 3406 Cat ran for 14yrs then after Xmas shutdown,first day temp went over 212 degrees. Looking in oil filler tube and all was a nice bright green. After a tear down,O rings had failed in #6 piston. Pull top off filler tube for inspection.

  7. #7john hofer2015-04-04 23:11

    I get some pics and try to post them Parts: aftermarket or original :in frame or out .whats best

  8. #8john hofer2015-04-04 23:16

    looks like it is working get some pics tommorow

  9. #9Blk prince2015-04-05 10:43

    John,as I was on a company truck,the parts were all Cat. The rebuild was done in-frame

  10. #10Mobiltech2015-04-05 14:22

    Even though I was with Cat for years I have started using some jobber kits and have been pretty happy with them. I actually have seen some of the Cat cylinder packs have early failures. I would recommend a Cat head gasket though. They seem to hold up better. I would do an inframe unless you have front or rear housing leaking oil. If you pull the pan and look up at the liners where they come down through the block if theyre leaking you will see pure coolant drops hanging off the liner on the outside edge.

  11. #11john hofer2015-04-05 20:56

    can't transfer pics to laptop: engine has no rod linkage,casting number on fuel pump 7e5888

  12. #12john hofer2015-04-05 21:06

    it worked

  13. #13john hofer2015-04-05 21:08

    View attachment 133498

  14. #14Mobiltech2015-04-05 23:20

    Yay. It's not a peec. You can see the throttle linkage on the bottom pic.