Have a CAT 345B L that is having issues with the engine speed control. When I turn the knob to increase the engine speed the engine stays at idle. The numbers on the monitor increase from 1 to 10 as they should. In the four or five times I have messed with it in the last week, the speed control did work as it should by turning the knob twice, but when I turned off the machine and restarted it wouldn't function again. When I use the switches on the rear of the right console the engine will increase RPM's when in emergency mode. When I flip the switch on the rear of the right console to put the machine into emergency mode the monitor panel goes blank and when I switch back to normal mode the Electronic Controller warning light will sometimes light on the monitor panel. If I restart the machine the Electronic Controller warning light will go out. The machine sat for a few years unused. (Sunroof was leaking also so I'm not sure if something may have gotten wet) When I installed new batteries last fall and started the machine I noticed a little bit of smoke coming from behind the rear seat area, which I thought may have been from dust in the AC/Heater blower motor. I'm not sure where the electronic controller is located, but if it's behind the seat that may have been what was smoking. Can someone let me know what the most common problem would be to cause the engine to not speed up and where the controller is located? Also how to check for codes if anyone thinks that may help? Thanks.
Hi, I think controller should be as you said behind or under the seat. If the governor motor works at the back up mode according to toggle switch movement it means wiring and motor is good. And when you rotate the speed dial knob if the monitor digit changes it means that speed dial signal goes to the controller but it seems out put signal from controller to the governor motor is defective. As you explained it seems to me as a controller problem. If the water gets contact with the controller it is more likely to be corroded. You can find out it by looking at the out side of the controller. And check the colour of controller indication light when key swith at the on position or when machine is working. and it should be green in colour. So check the outer appearence of controller and state of controller connectors first. If the controller connectors and controller pins are bad in condition clean those and then reconnect and see what happens. Always turn off the key switch and disconnect switch before removing connectors.
Do you have one of these behind the cab, by the air filter?
No have never seen one of those. Nothing behind the seat other than a a big glove compartment and the AC/heater. Not sure if the electronic module is behind all the plastic or not.
Hi, What is the machine's serial number ?
The gizmo i posted a picture of is mounted outdoors, behind the cab, below the engine air filter. It operates the auxiliary hydraulic system, and, when auxiliaries aren't in use, it is "supposed" to pass the throttle setting through, but, water entry when the epoxy shrinks....leads to weird issues, primarily, the throttle signal doesn't get to the governor.
Serial # 4SS011287
One too many numerals. 4SS11287 doesn't exist. 4SS01287 doesn't have auxiliary controller like I posted above.
I will look at the tag on the machine in the morning.
Correct serial # is 4SS01287
Can anyone tell me where the electronic module is that controls the engine speed? Thanks
It's in the cab next to the seat.
Have you checked for fault codes?