Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 349

crazycajun ยท 2013-02-04 21:55

How much of a difference production wise can I expect from loading 40 Ton offroad trucks at the bottom of a 10-12' cut as opposed to loading them at ground level? What kinda yards do you think I can get in a decent 12 hr day? 4yd bucket, standard stick and boom.

Replies11
  1. #1JimBruce422013-02-05 01:24

    How many trucks? You will definitely save probably close to 20-30 seconds per truck if you can get them to run below the hoe as opposed to next to it on the same level. When we have 40-tonners being loaded by 345's it usually takes 6-7 passes per truck, so about 90 second load time (if your in good digging material, rock or really hard clay will slow it a bit). If the trucks are running consistently and the hoe doesn't sit much, figure about 3 minutes per truck (load, wait time) 20 loads an hour or 240 loads a day, how many yards, depends on how many yards per truck you plan to claim (I think we claim 24 yards, so 24*240=5760 CY a shift). I'm just roughly rounding the numbers for ease of the brain, it's late, hope that helps though:drinkup:usa

  2. #2crazycajun2013-02-05 04:55

    We will have as many trucks as it takes to keep it swinging regularly... I'm thinking 3 trucks per machine, the haul is gonna average about 700'. I think I can get the bottom hard enough to run on, it's the ramps out I am worried about. They are always the hardest spot to keep hard. Trying to see if it's worth cutting lime or flyash on 10 or so ramps. We are digging a new channel 8000' long 16' deep and 200' wide.

  3. #3JDOFMEMI2013-02-08 00:54

    I estimate a 20 second per load savings putting the trucks in the cut. I do not know how hard or soft your digging is. I was in pretty tight cobble rock and getting 200 to 210 in a 12 hour day recently. That was with an older 345BL swinging a 60" bucket. In nice material where the 72" bucket would dig easily, I think I could do 240 easily. On the rare occasions we hit a soft spot in the cut, we would average 21 to 22 loads per hour. The hoe was always over the trucks. Our haul was about 600 to 800 ft, and 2 trucks worked out fine. If the digging was easier, then 3 would do, with one truck waiting about 1/2 minute each time, on average. As for yardage, I don't know what Jim hauls to get 24 yards of it in a truck, but I usually end up at 18 to 20 bank yards per load, and my loads are FULL. I also know people who claim more, but the survey does not lie, and I don't want to think I am done and still have 20% of the dirt to haul.

  4. #4JimBruce422013-02-08 13:52

    Jerry, Not gonna lie, I was just grabbing numbers a bit... We mostly run 30-tonners and claim 14-15 yards on them. You're probably more accurate with 20, we may go 22 though. I think job to job the claim number can change depending on what we have (ie rock or sand or clay). Didn't mean to throw anyone off, like I said we don't 40 tonners as much as we used to. I do still think you can get 5500-6k yards a shift from one of the hoe/truck packages though. As long as the trucks can move and the digging is moderate to easy.

  5. #5crazycajun2013-02-09 01:31

    That's what I was hoping to hear, there is 0 hard digging in Louisiana, at least in my area. I am goin to have 3 349e's with 74" buckets and one 345c with same bucket. 5,000 yards would be 20,000 yards, we are spreading 1' thick lifts that the compaction requirement is 3 passes with a haul truck. What Would you guys think it will take or What would you use to spread the material? Im hoping to get a 1.5 conversion factor and haul 20yrds/truck. Will 2 d6n's w gps, a d6t, and a D8L keep up spreading, with the haul roads, (will have tractor and blade also) and grade the cut?

  6. #6mxsledder2013-02-09 15:53

    That is a good sized operation! I'm interested to see how the new 349 compares to the 345 c.

  7. #7JimBruce422013-02-09 20:43

    Good luck, whenever the project gets going, keep us up to date and share some pictures too:drinkup

  8. #8JDOFMEMI2013-02-10 02:03

    Crazy The way I would see it the 8L will handle what 2 hoes will send, and the 6N's will each handle one, leaving the 6T for the cut and haul roads. It may not work out with the exact machine doing what I said, but the point is there is enough support to make it work. Sounds like a busy site. My only concern is to have a large enough fill area to get the compaction requirement met. Jim. I wasn't trying to bash you, and hope you did not take it that way. Your advice is on the money most times and valued by me and a great deal of others. I want to see pictures as well. Sounds like a busy site.

  9. #9crazycajun2013-02-10 14:28

    We will have 200 acres to spread the fill on, I'm hoping the dozers work out like you said. The 349 is a bit faster and more powerful than the 345c, a noticeable difference. I will try to take some pictures. I have a ton of pics just don't know how to put them on from my iPhone.

  10. #10ROGER4822013-02-22 14:27

    Are the 349's L or LME? here in the UK I have never seen a L we all use LME most of which carry a slightly oversize bucket of 4M3, which equate to 5 passes on a Cat 740.

  11. #11crazycajun2013-02-23 22:48

    Just L.. I don't find the lme's load faster cause of all the changing conditions throughout the job.