Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 350L Hydraulic problem

izuchukwu ยท 2023-07-10 04:33

I'm having challenge with a 350L excavator, the lifting boom is not going up and the movement is slow. Pls I need help

Replies39
  1. #1Acoals2023-07-10 06:47

    I would recommend washing it and then replacing the teeth on the bucket.

  2. #2Welder Dave2023-07-10 17:59

    Is the hyd. fluid full? Judging by all the dirt on the machine and the almost completely worn out teeth I'd say the machine is in serious need of some maintenance. I'd guess something in the pumps sticking and not allowing full hyd. flow if the fluid level is OK.

  3. #3izuchukwu2023-07-10 18:39

    The fluid is ok, other hydraulic system are walking perfectly, just the lifting boom is not even functioning at all. And the movement is slow

  4. #4Welder Dave2023-07-10 18:50

    That's confusing. Is the lifting slow or not functioning at all? Not sure if that machine uses a seperate pump just for the boom lift but some gauges to check pressures and/or flow are probably needed to troubleshoot it. Could be the boom control valve not moving full stroke. It could be something electrical as well. Hopefully one of the Cat experts like Nige will see this and have some suggestions for troubleshooting it.

  5. #5Acoals2023-07-10 18:58

    A serial number might get you some useful advice, otherwise it's just guys on the other side of the planet speculating.

  6. #6izuchukwu2023-07-11 02:23

    The lifting is not functioning at all, how can I get to Nige

  7. #7Welder Dave2023-07-11 04:23

    You should have used a better title for your thread like Cat 350L hydraulic help. You can PM Nige.

  8. #8Nige2023-07-11 04:43

    Nige isn't the excavator expert unfortunately. I will ask for this thread to be moved to the Excavator section and for the title to be changed to better reflect the nature of your problem. As commented above, whoever attempts to help you will need some basic information:- 1. Machine Serial Number. 2. What happened leading up to the problem you have now.? Did the function start working more and more slowly over a period of time or did it simply go from "normal" to what you have now.? Be clear about which function you are describing. I read it that you have a problem with the boom lift but that might be wrong. Are the other functions (apart from the boom) working correctly.? 3. Do you have pressure gauges and/or any other testing equipment.? 4. Do you have access to Caterpillar ET diagnostic software.?

  9. #9izuchukwu2023-07-11 07:33

    Serial no *9FL00805 I just meet the machine that way, every other functions are walking well expect the lifting boom and the movement which is not functioning at all. No body to explain the problem of the excavator to me. Because the speakers French and I speak English

  10. #10Nige2023-07-11 07:53

    Are you only talking about the boom up/down movement.?

  11. #11izuchukwu2023-07-11 14:27

    Yes

  12. #12Nige2023-07-11 14:44

    So all other the other machine functions (stick, bucket curl, swing, & travel) are all OK as far as you know.?

  13. #13Tinkerer2023-07-11 15:37

    It may be as simple as the hydraulic cylinder piston seals are worn out. Unlikely but the piston may no longer be bolted to the rod. IMHO

  14. #14Acoals2023-07-11 18:09

    I had that on a mini once.

  15. #15izuchukwu2023-07-11 19:55

    Yes sir

  16. #16izuchukwu2023-07-11 19:58

    That means I have to change the two lifting ram seals

  17. #17Welder Dave2023-07-11 20:09

    You need to do some diagnosis first to see if oil is reaching the cylinders and at the proper pressure. It would really suck to go to the trouble of taking the cylinders apart to find nothing wrong with them. Easiest is to probably hook up some pressure gauges on the lift cylinder lines or test ports on the machine if it has them. Maybe a relief valve is stuck open a suction line is collapsed. It sounds like you might need to get an experienced Cat mechanic out to have a look.

  18. #18izuchukwu2023-07-12 15:49

    I'm a mechanic, I just need a guardline

  19. #19Welder Dave2023-07-12 18:29

    Send ahart a PM. He's a very knowledgeable Cat mechanic that likely has excavator experience. He may not have missed your thread. Just had a thought that maybe something is wrong with the joystick control and it's not letting the boom lift valve operate.

  20. #20izuchukwu2023-07-12 20:38

    Ahart PM good morning sir, pls sir I need your help

  21. #21Welder Dave2023-07-12 22:20

    PM means private message. You need to go to the envelope at the top of the page and click on it. Then type in ahart and send a message. He will get a notification.

  22. #22Acoals2023-07-12 22:26

    What exactly happens when you try to raise the boom? Is there a noise? Does the boom move a little? Does it move super slow? Does the engine load? There has got to be some more information going on in order for anybody to even try to help. Diagnosing a machine in Africa from England or The US is a very difficult thing, it is impossible if the guy who is present at the machine doesn't communicate or doesn't know enough about mechanics to give a useful observation of what is going on. Ahart might be brilliant but he isn't going to be able to hear your machine through his keyboard.

  23. #23Welder Dave2023-07-12 22:53

    Ahart may have experience with a similar problem or know where to start in diagnosing the issue. He seems well versed in Cat machines.

  24. #24izuchukwu2023-07-13 03:26

    When you operate it the boom will only check but will not move. There is no noise

  25. #25izuchukwu2023-07-13 03:26

    Can you help me with anyone name

  26. #26Acoals2023-07-13 05:48

    What does "check" mean?

  27. #27izuchukwu2023-07-13 08:20

    What i mean is the boom ram we act as if it what to lift but will still remain in one place

  28. #28Nige2023-07-13 09:54

    As I posted earlier I am not an excavator expert but in my opinion you need to be doing some testing to identify what pressure you have in the boom raising circuit. I will be honest and say that I think you need to test all the other circuits as well. You may discover that although they appear to be working "normally" that they are outside the permitted specification. So here are a few documents that may help you understand how the system works and how to test it. Please note they are specific to this machine Serial Number 9FL00805. The machine in your other thread is a slightly different generation. I will post information specific to that machine on the other thread. 1. Hydraulic schematic. 2. Hydraulic System Operation document. 3. Hydraulic System Test & Adjust document.

  29. #29Nige2023-07-13 09:55

    You will probably also require information regarding the electronic implement hydraulic pump controller. Here are the SysOp and Test & Adjust documents for it.

  30. #30Welder Dave2023-07-13 14:35

    His user name on the forum is ahart. Do you not know how to send him a PM?

  31. #31izuchukwu2023-07-13 15:12

    No

  32. #32izuchukwu2023-07-13 15:18

    Thank you very much sir

  33. #33izuchukwu2023-07-13 15:47

    Thank you sir I will go through the Manuel and I will get back to you

  34. #34Welder Dave2023-07-13 16:17

    I'll send him a PM to see if he can look at this thread.

  35. #35izuchukwu2023-07-14 14:34

    Thank you sir

  36. #36Welder Dave2023-07-14 15:23

    Nige has provided good information on where to start as far as diagnosing the problem. I think your best option may be to have a mechanic from Cat come and look at the machine. A 350L is a big complex machine worth hundreds of thousands of dollars not a small backhoe on the back of a tractor. As such it requires mechanics who fully understand all of it's complex systems. Trying to explain how all these systems work together to someone with little experience with them would take a long time and be near impossible to do on a forum, especially when there's a bit of a language barrier.

  37. #37izuchukwu2023-07-15 02:30

    Ok thank you

  38. #38izuchukwu2023-08-07 09:52

    Thank you sir for the Manuel you sent to me, I discover the main pump wasn't good, I have repair it, everything is functioning well but is giving engine load if I try to operate it, please sir I need your help

  39. #39izuchukwu2023-08-07 09:53

    Thank you sir for the Manuel you sent to me, I discover the main pump wasn't good, I have repair it, everything is functioning well but is giving engine load if I try to operate it, please sir I need your help