Was curious what you guys thought putting a 385 6cy bucket loading conglomerate vs. a 992 loader??? Any quarry guyst here have an idea? shovels??!
Where I work we had a 992 and it would blow our 385's out of the water loading trucks in the right situations (as in huge rock cuts). But the 385's are more of an all around machine. We still have four 385's and they sold the 992, so that should mean something.
I think a 385 is not comparable to a 992. PJ **** & Trumbell were using a 5110 and a 992G on the rt 15 job.
yeah a 385 competes more with say a 988 for loadout. if it was good floor id likely use the 992. Otherwise use the hoe. Id put a 992 up against a 120 ton hoe.
hey pullpan, just curious but did you work on the coalfield expressway around beckley, wv. PJ **** & Trumbell were the ones building it and they had a 5110 there that i saw when they were putting it together, just wondering if it was the same one
I spoke to one of their employee's there and he said it was doen there on a road job. so i think that would be the same fleet
The size of the trucks you are loading will also play a huge part in what machine is faster. I was on a job where we had six 35 ton ADT's and four 657's hauling a little over half a mile one way. We had two 980's and two 345's loading and due to the site being in some steep hills we were also loading the the 657's with them as well. I was on one of the 345's and when loading the trucks I could not beat the loaders, however when we were loading the scrapers the loaders could not beat me. What I noticed was because of the excavator having way faster cycle times but a much smaller bucket the loader was quicker when less passes were required. But when loading a larger volume the faster cycle times of the excavator made up for it's bucket size because it takes a loader so much longer to get another bucket. I hope I explained that clearly enough, this was also a very unconventional job as you can tell be us having to load scrapers so who knows if this logic would carry over to other jobs.
992 will out load a 385,in the right conditions in my opinion,but some things to consider as already stated, the floor has to be able to hold a 992,and also a hoe can usually take care of it self, most of the time the hoe does not need a dozer pushing to it if things get a little hard.