Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cat 416 ether start question

bct ยท 2017-11-03 15:22

Anyone fill me in on how to use ether to start my mid 80s 416. It has the toggle with a symbol that looks like someting squirting into a cylinder. Not sure. My jd just had a simple nipple and hose to intake . Thanks so much

Replies9
  1. #1bct2017-11-03 18:20

    Perkins engine btw.

  2. #2Dickjr.2017-11-06 18:39

    We had a 416A series , it took a bottle on the right hand side looked like a propane bottle. You were to start rolling the engine over and hit the switch and let off it put out a metered shot. We really didn't need it unless it was below 20F.

  3. #3bct2017-11-06 23:05

    thanks dick jr. yes I took the sides off yesterday and followed the tiny tubes on the intake... one went to a pressure canister for my air cleaner change thingymabob. the other went to the bottle like you said. I flicked the switch on the dash and hear a solenoid kick so I believe it works but its empty. is this something you buy from caterpillar ? never seen that size before. anyhow I fixed my block heater by bypassing the thermostat and got her running. its cold for this time of year here. cheers to you for your help.

  4. #4Dickjr.2017-11-06 23:19

    On the bottle , Cat , Napa or a Truck shop. I forget the tank number. Or tank type rather. They are decent backhoes for the most part.

  5. #5oarwhat2017-11-07 07:06

    FYI The orifice that injects the ether sometimes plug up. When you get the new bottle remove the orifice . Then hook it back up to the tube and try it. I've had many that were plugged up.

  6. #6bct2017-11-07 21:53

    not sure if I should start a new thread but my next mystery is how to use the boom lock . I was told to rev it up and pull back with a good run but it isn't anywhere near connecting into the lock . is there a secret method? it is a cable with a lump on the end. the release is a simple pedal inside the cab a side question that isn't critical. what is the 7 volt output for on my alternator. I had it off and tested everything is good other than a bad connection here and there but the 7 volt terminal has me curious. thanks for the help .

  7. #7bct2017-11-07 21:54

    btw I found the ether bottles on sale and will try the orfice asap. thanks @oarwhat

  8. #8Delmer2017-11-07 22:31

    Do you have a working tachometer? the "W" terminal is wild AC voltage that 'drives" the tachometer, it might read 7V DC on a meter?

  9. #9bct2017-11-08 10:55

    Barely works . Jumps to 500 rpm when I start then stays there. But this make sense. AC eh? That's neat. Probably my meter like you say. I will switch to ac and retest. Thanks