Hello, I have instructions on air purge for cat 416c. Does anyone know if brakes are the same on 416B? Thanks
If I remember correctly the brakes are the same design but brake linings changed at some point in the C series. There should be a bleed valve on top of the rear diff adjacent to where the brake tube attaches.
Thanks for the info. I bled brakes the other day via the 416c cat method. They seem a little better. I only had to ad a half pint of fluid.. I have to pump the brakes once nearly every time and then it stops pretty well even locking up a little on dirt surface. Previous owner said he had experience with the 416 and the three he had operated all had the spongy initial first stroke...I don't know?
the brakes in the axle are worn out. You have to pump them twice to let the piston come out enough to apply the brakes.
Ok. I think I'll check the rear diff today. It should have excess fluid right?
It may not be enough fluid to significantly change the oil level in the diff. If breaks are worn out oil will escape past the piston seals when breaking. To test this simply apply continuous steady pressure to the break pedals while stopped. If pedal is vague feeling and will continue to floor then you will likely need to replace break linings. If the pedal is firm and does not slowly make its way to the floor then seals,linings are likely good.