Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 416C block heater

Selby R Knight · 2022-12-05 14:10

Cat backhoe 416C block heater trips ac breaker a minute after plug in It is heater 161-8198 On right side of block Is this heater screwed in or compression fit? I do not see any screw in it How do I remove it to install new? (When I get it!)

Replies4
  1. #1Delmer2022-12-05 14:44

    It looks like it presses in just like a core plug, I don't see any of the usual locking methods. I'd pry it out with a small pry bar under those three tabs a little at a time on each one. Clean up any rust before putting in the new one. That is an unusual failure mode for a block heater. Have you tried it on a different breaker to see if the breaker got weak? Is it an arc fault or GFI breaker that's tripping? anything else on that breaker that goes off also?

  2. #2Selby R Knight2022-12-05 14:52

    It worked on the same breaker last winter. have tried 2 separate breakers / with the cord disconnected from the element the breaker does not trip ( eliminates the cord!) have not checked the element with ohm meter

  3. #3Selby R Knight2022-12-06 06:41

    Delmar We had tried 2 separate cords on 2 separate breakers After your suggestion we tried a third breaker This breaker is NOT GFI and the block heater is now working THANK YOU VERY MUCH ——EXPERIENCE MATTERS!

  4. #4Tinkerer2022-12-07 10:57

    GFI's are extremely sensitive and are supposed to be. But, I have had to replace a couple of mine because they would trip just like yours did. You could try replacing one of those with a new one that has a 20 amp rating.