Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 416C hydraulic leak, solutions?

rutwad · 2023-09-11 16:18

My Cat 416C outrigger cylinder has a bad leak. I thought I could chain up the outrigger and continue to use the FEL without losing any more hydraulic fluid, but that's not the case. The cylinder is leaking constantly. Can I plug both hydraulic lines going to the cylinder and use the FEL without any issues? If so, what could I use to plug the lines? Thanks in advance.

Replies4
  1. #1Tinkerer2023-09-11 16:28

    If the control lever is in neutral, the cylinder should quit leaking after the chain is holding it up. To answer your question--- yes you can use the fel with the lines plugged. Any hydraulic shop will have the correct caps to put on the lines. I would suggest that you take the cylinder with you when you get the caps/plugs.

  2. #2rutwad2023-09-11 16:35

    I thought it would stop leaking too. Not sure why is still leaking. Any chance somebody knows the size plugs I need so I don't have to take off the hose to take with me? I hope to get the cylinder rebuilt, but my last attempt at getting it off failed. The pin holding it is froze up. Hopefully I can tackle it soon with better luck.

  3. #3ahart2023-09-11 18:06

    I looked through the parts book and it looks to me that everything for the outrigger hoses is -8 ORFS. Should be able to verify this if a 15/16” wrench fits the hose. You can buy a whole cap/plug kit from Amazon or eBay fairly reasonably and all sizes will come in handy in the future for you. Hopefully this helps.

  4. #4rutwad2023-09-11 19:18

    Thanks, that helps a lot!