Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 416C swing tower

Dickjr. ยท 2016-05-26 13:21

My 416C s/n 5yn6433 has an issue with the bottom pin and bushing in the swing tower. Tractor has about 5000 hrs on it. I was wondering if anyone had dealt with this and what the procedure is to repair it. It seems the bushing has cracked or possibly fallen out the bottom. I hope my housings are ok and all I need is the pin and bush. I will do the top while I'm into it as well.

Replies7
  1. #1Tinkerer2016-05-26 15:46

    There is no way to tell the extent of what needs to be done until you remove the pin and lower bushing. If the bottom bushing and pin are as bad as you describe , I would think the upper bushing is going to need replacement . Cross your fingers that the tower is still in good shape.

  2. #2Dickjr.2016-05-26 19:11

    What all has to be removed to get to the bushings? The nut on the bottom pin can be turned by hand as long as the boom is set where there is no tension on it. I think I'll have to cut the nut and let the pin drop out.

  3. #3Tinkerer2016-05-27 06:56

    I have never worked on a Caterpillar T/L/B, but here is some info I found in a quick Google search. ------> https://www.google.com/search?q=CAT...=1iNIV9HXFonamwGGvquACQ#imgrc=aNxUdG0wC1hbwM: Click on the ---visit page --- button in the black panel and you will get more information on getting your pin out. It is a tapered pin and has to be pressed out according to what I found there.

  4. #4mitch5042016-05-27 07:24

    Can you unscrew the nut if you set the boom for maximum tension?

  5. #5El Hombre2016-05-27 13:16

    Are you asking if you bind the pin with the boom, will that let you take it apart? Probably will. It's a tapered fitting, usually that, all by itself will keep things from moving. In fact, it can/will be a complete PITA to get that taper apart. Trick I learned in mechanics school was to back off the nut a turn, put downward pressure on the nut with whatever you could, and then take a BFH and 'massage it' on the part the pin is in. Couple of whacks and it will pop. Ball joints, tie rod ends, anything like that. Never once used a pickle fork or press to get them apart, just a pry bar and hammer.

  6. #6Delmer2016-05-27 15:27

    He was going to cut the nut because it would turn by hand... so I don't think it will be too hard to get the taper pin out once the nut is loose. What kind of shape the casting is in is the next question.

  7. #7Dickjr.2016-05-27 16:44

    I may cut the nut off and drive out the pin or let it fall out to see what needs attention. Leave everything connected , if I have to take it somewhere I will temporarily install the pin. From the parts diagram it looks like there is no bushing , just a tapered pin ? I guess I'll know in a bit. If I have to separate the tower from the tractor I may be able to get a gantry to hold the boom assembly pull the pins , move the tractor ahead just enough to install the bushings then realign it all and pin it back.