I have a caterpillar 416c backhoe sr# 4zn19491. It will not go into reverse, but it will go forward. I switched the wires from the forward to the reverse on the solenoid and it did go into reverse. So that tells me that it is not receiving a signal. Is there a relay for the reverse? What should I do next?
Can you clarify if you switched the wires on BOTH forward and reverse solenoids and in that condition the machine will move in reverse but not forward.?
Based on your problem description, it sounds like you have a faulty Transmission Control (Shift Lever), the problem may also be in the wires from the lever to the electronic transmission unit and from the electronic transmission unit to the solenoid. The easiest way to check if the lever works is to connect the CAT ET.
Yes. I switched the wires from the forward solenoid to the reverse solenoid, then put the lever into forward and the transmission did go into reverse. I also took of the solenoids and did a simple test with the positive and negative wires from the battery, and I could hear both sides of the solenoids activating.
Check your message inbox for an electrical schematic. It sounds as though you are going to need one. Maybe first swap the wiring at the transmission shift lever to discount the chance of a wiring problem between the shifter and the solenoids.?
Thank you for your help. Was able to check the wiring with the schematic that was sent to me. The reverse wires were damaged and the harness that clips to the solenoid was also damaged. Ran two new wires and the reverse works again. Will try that backhoe out tomorrow on a job.