Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 416E found 4 pins when changing diff oil

andrew80 · 2013-01-23 11:31

We have this cat 416E and changed differential oil and when looking thru the hole I saw a metal pin, 20mm long, 1 mm thick with round edges and with and o-ring at the middle. I took in and then started to check for more and I found 3 more. Do you guys think those are related to the diff. lock? This one has an hydr. diff lock (no spring). I'm really thinking in removing the rear axle. BTW, diff lock on this machine doesn't work long time

Replies19
  1. #1JeremiahSr2013-01-23 11:39

    Gona need a pic of it to see what it looks like. I found these pins with o-rings in the differential but they are way bigger than 1mm

  2. #2andrew802013-01-23 11:49

    This is the pic I'm pretty sure it is nº 5 of your pic. If so, Does that mean I need to take out the rear diff? Can you tell me exactly where they come from?

  3. #3JeremiahSr2013-01-23 12:19

    That is definately them. They go in the differential housing. That is in the center section of your rear axle that the bevel gear bolts to. This assembly is what gives the rear axle it's limited slip capabilities. As far as how important they are......looking through the dissasembly process it looks like they plug holes in housing to keep lube oil in? I can't remember these on any axles i have been into? If it were me.....i would tear it down and install them with new o-rings. This pic is what it shows in dissasembly section of book. They dont look like pins...but it is them.

  4. #4andrew802013-01-23 12:28

    Oh, ok. That´s why the differential lock doesn´t work since a long time. So can I leave it like that? Or it is necessary imperative to remove the axle?

  5. #5JeremiahSr2013-01-23 12:48

    I would say it is imperative. Right not you are looking at a few o-rings, oil and labor. Running it as-is could cost you the differential or ring gear/pinion. Then you are spending big money! I have a few customers that might drive it like it is til it breaks......but not the wise long route to take imo.

  6. #6andrew802013-01-23 13:44

    Yeah. Then I will do it. But those pins are hold to the housing just by the o-rings?

  7. #7JeremiahSr2013-01-23 14:24

    I am not positive my good man. It is possible that sleeve you see in the pic up there should hold them in place. I'm sure when you get in there it will be obvious. If not let me know an i will help any way i can. Good luck!

  8. #8Delmer2013-01-23 17:23

    I'm guessing the o rings aren't for holding those pins in place, and I'm wondering if this differential lock is a brake/clutch pack, or a locking mechanism that came apart when somebody used the lock when one wheel was already spinning. If you're tempted to use the machine as it is, I'd find out just what had to break for those to fall out. It may be fine to use it, obviously you've been using for a while anyway.

  9. #9andrew802013-01-24 08:38

    I will remove the axle. Any way, I took pics from the axle and I assume that housing at the bottom is for the differential lock Tomorrow we`ll take the axle out and monday I will post pics from the differential

  10. #10andrew802013-01-24 15:45

    Ok guys, I just removed the axle now. Couldn't wait `til monday. Here the pics. And here below you can see the ring for the diff lock And I can see the four housings for the pins. Also here it is a pic from the crown gear It has a small hit. So looking I was thinking in leaving the diff like that. I mean no putting the pins again. What do you guys think about that?

  11. #11JeremiahSr2013-01-24 16:16

    They have them there for a reason. It must be to help hold lube oil in the differential. I still can't believe it is only o-rings holding them in. On the bevel gear where a pin dinged it...file, sand or use a die grinder to cut down any high parts. It will be just fine. With the right o-rings on them plugs they should stay there for how many hours is on the machine now. If you leave them out and diff is not lubed properly the spyder gear assembly could wear excessively and that is big money! Entirely your choice though.

  12. #12Delmer2013-01-24 17:30

    I can't tell from the pics, is the ring for the diff lock damaged at all? Does the ring move enough to see how/where the pins came out? What is the groove for in the ring? is it a tapered "shift collar" that pushes those pins in to operate the internal diff lock? Can you see how the diff lock is actuated? I still can't tell if the hydraulics for the diff lock operate a brake/clutch disk that stops the differential, or if the hydraulics operates a mechanical lock, and what part do those pins play in the operation? If you understand, don't bother bringing me up to speed, but if it was me, I'd keep looking until I figured out why they came out, what they're supposed to do, etc.

  13. #13andrew802013-01-28 11:07

    Ok guys, now I got it. The 4 pins make possible the diff locking. Below you can see where the pins go. When locking is engaged, the ring is moved to the inside pushing the pins down. The gear has channels where the pins can lock the diff, please see below pics. . What happened here was operator locked the diff and then turned, one pin got stuck at the channel and broke. The new pin gets here in 4 weeks (can you believe this!!)

  14. #14Nige2013-01-29 09:32

    Where Finning is involved I could believe anything ............

  15. #15Delmer2013-01-29 09:43

    Did the "shift collar" bend? or something else bend in the process of those pins coming out? I'm assuming the pins exited outward and not through the innards of the differential.

  16. #16andrew802013-01-29 14:39

    No, the collar is fine and everything else (talk about luck!) and you`re right, when spinning the pins went out

  17. #17gusbratz2013-01-30 05:44

    like you said it could have been the operator. (we always want to blame him first no matter what) but better make sure that that shifting fork isn't sticking locking the diff all the time or it will happen again. thanks for all the great pictures.

  18. #18caterpillarmech2013-01-30 05:51

    I have had two E's recently that the diff lock valve was stuck. May want to check that it is not putting pressure to rear axle at all times.

  19. #19DGODGR2013-02-01 21:59

    If I remember correctly you posted about the rear brakes for this machine. You are already in there. The brakes are just inside the outboard axles. New brake linings would be easy at this point. Might as well add them to your order. They'll be there in (4) weeks!