Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cat 420d diff lock

johan s ยท 2020-11-09 22:30

Hello everyone. I am new to this and every other forum. I am a HD mechanic on Vancouver Island, BC. I have recently gained employment with a road crew and they are having troubles with a CAT 420B backhoe and of course, they don't have a manual and I am not fimiliar with this model. I haven't even been aquainted with the machine yet. The complaint is "the diff lock will not diengage when the foot button is released". Does anyone know of an common problems with this model of backhoe. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Replies6
  1. #1Mark2502020-11-10 02:18

    you will need to supply a serial number for more valid information as ther a number of different serial numbers how ever they are ll pretty much the same here is one version

  2. #2stinky642020-11-10 02:33

    Johan,once you get your grubby little mitts on the machine check the linkage first for something sticking/bent or broken...sure would be nice for an easy solution for first challenge at your new gig....

  3. #3Tinkerer2020-11-10 06:45

    Welcome to HEF, johan s !

  4. #4edgephoto2020-11-10 10:52

    Welcome aboard.

  5. #5johan s2020-11-10 12:23

    Thank you gentlemen for your response to my 420d diff locked up problem. I checked out the linkage,the lock lever is in the down (unlocked) position but will not disengage. I tried manually to move lever, not seized,just slight back and forth movement. I did this while turning the wheel,they just continue to turn in same direction, must be an internal problem? The oil didn't have chunks just silvery. Does anyone have labour time estimate for a job like this.

  6. #6johan s2020-11-10 12:28