Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 420D Replacement Glass

janicehitt ยท 2016-04-06 01:10

I need to replace some of the glass panels but don't know the appropriate names of each one. How would I find this out?

Replies12
  1. #1Mark2502016-04-06 08:31

    with no serial number, these number's may be wrong due to differences in cab design between s/n ranges. also the window group numbers break down further,

  2. #2kshansen2016-04-06 10:53

    If you are dealing with flat glass I'd try contacting a glass company. We have a local outfit that comes out and cuts the glass to fit and installs it in less time than it would take to look up the part number and order it from Cat. And if he breaks it while installing he just cuts another, don't think that ever happened yet.

  3. #3janicehitt2016-04-11 10:55
  4. #4Nige2016-04-11 12:02

    Not that it matters but CRS17850 is actually the engine Serial Number. The machine Serial Number is FDP23077. Are the windows you are looking for flat glass or curved..? I'm also a bit confused if it is 2 panes of glass or 3 that you need.

  5. #5Deon2016-04-11 19:56

    If there are holes in the glass for latches & hinges or it's curved, forget asking to have it cut. I needs to be tempered glass and it can't be cut. If Cat it too pricey you can try brokentractor.com or conequip.com for aftermarket parts.

  6. #6CM19952016-04-11 20:33

    The upper section of glass in the door is around $550 from Cat but that does include all the hardware... Nige those 3 glass pieces are all flat and they have holes pre-drilled for the hardware. The little triangular piece in the first pic and the two on the side in the second pic.

  7. #7mitch5042016-04-11 21:52

    We have a large commercial glass company here that somehow cuts and drills tempered glass, and also laminated safety glass. They will come to the machine, measure it, and come back in a few days and install it, for less than half the price of OEM, usually.

  8. #8Nige2016-04-12 04:18

    I could see there were holes in it for fixing. TBH if the glass is flat I'd have replacements made out of laminated glass and transfer all the fittings over from the old glass to the new one. For comparison with your local glass company Cat pricing is approximately as follows: - The RH rear opening glass (164-1064) comes in at $240 for just the glass or $410 (164-1059) with fittings. The RH door glass (164-1066) comes in at $260 for just the glass or $430 (164-1073) with fittings. The triangular rear glass (164-1068) is priced at $210. If this is a bonded glass panel then obviously price that does not include installation.

  9. #9janicehitt2016-04-12 06:25

    Wow ya'll are awesome thank u for all the replies! I'm in a little over my girly head but Nige you were such a BIG HELP! Thank you!!!

  10. #10Nige2016-04-12 06:39

    The numbers in brackets above are Cat Part Numbers by the way ...... Installing bonded glass panels is a job best left to an expert in my experience.

  11. #11Deon2016-04-12 08:03

    I've been in the automotive and marine glass industry since 1986. I am an expert in that field. Tempered glass cannot be cut or drilled. The cutting, drilling and sanding are all done before the glass is tempered. I you attemp to drill or cut it, you will be sweeping it up with a broom. As far as laminated glass that can be cut to fit, is only good to mount to a ridge frame with urethane adhesive or in a rubber gasket. It will not do well at all if mounted to hinges by drilling holes in it. I will be cracked in a week if not during installation. That is why Cat and everyone else uses tempered glass for this application. It is 4-5 times stronger than laminated glass of the same thickness. This is not my opinion, it is recorded facts.

  12. #12mitch5042016-04-12 21:59

    Ok, I guess they have it cut and drilled by the manufacturer. :beatsme They measure it, go away come back in a few days or a week, and install it.