Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 420f2it

Rob80 · 2022-02-17 13:28

Hi I have a question about ride control in a 420f2it serial number 0420FLLYC00218 Ride control isn’t working. There’s a tube on top of right hand lift cylinder of the front bucket with a rod connected to a hinge pin that goes inside the tube. I was working in alders and pulled this rod out of the tube and bent It. I straightened the rod as best I could and put it back in the tube but the ride control still didn’t work. Is this tube and rod relate to the ride control and any suggestions why when I put It back together the ride control still didn’t work? Could it need to be reset?

Replies11
  1. #1heymccall2022-02-17 15:29

    If you're talking about this No, that is for the Return to Dig feature. There are no Ride Control parts on the front arms. All the pieces are under the cab.

  2. #2heymccall2022-02-17 15:32

    This is pretty much everything in the ride control system.

  3. #3Rob802022-02-17 16:26

    Thank you so much I appreciate your answer. It still don’t solve my problem. This machine is fairly new 2015 with 580hrs. Anybody have any idea where to go from here?

  4. #4Rob802022-02-17 16:32

    I checked fuses. the switch has on off and auto and it lights up. When I turn ride control on and lift the front wheels off the ground it doesn’t fall back down which it did before. I also broke a hydraulic fitting on a 10ft Craig blade last year and lost quite a bit of hyd oil. Replaced the fitting and topped up the fluid. Could this have something to do with it? I dont have any warning lights

  5. #5heymccall2022-02-17 18:06

    On my other ride control machines, the boom has to be fully raised and held on relief for 5 seconds or so to load the accumulator. Could it be that the preload was lost during your previous failure? As a rule, most loaders don't get raised to full up and held there, unless instructed to.

  6. #6Rob802022-02-17 18:33

    I tried that that as well heymccall still no luck When you say the boom, do you mean the loader bucket or the rear hoe? I did this with the front loader bucket. Thanks again for your reply I’m so appreciative for you reaching out I’ve been stuck on this for a while.

  7. #7heymccall2022-02-17 20:38

    First off, i believe that you're checking it wrong. Machine running, raise the front bucket 1 foot off the ground. Turn ride control on (not "automatic"). Boom should rise a couple inches. Ride control works in conjuction with the barrel side of the front boom cylinders, not the rod ends. Do you have the O&M manual? If so, isn't the ride control test covered in there?

  8. #8Nige2022-02-17 20:56

    Here's the procedure for testing the Ride Control. It's actually in the Service Manual T&A, not the O&M Manual. Second HMC's suggestion that if you don't have an O&M Manual you really ought to get one. If the original is missing a replacement pdf file can be downloaded from the web for $69.

  9. #9Rob802022-02-18 09:10

    Thanks for that nige. Hmc suggesting the ride control parts are under the cab, what is the best way to access them?

  10. #10Rob802022-02-18 11:11

    Just an update. Wanted to let you know the problem is fixed it was the fuse. Thanks again folks.

  11. #11Rob802023-03-13 10:12

    Hey folks just an update to this issue the fuse lasted for a short time than eventually blew again. I replaced it it eventually blew again. I left it as is for a few months and the weathers getting better decided to dig into it a little more. I replaced the fuse a couple days ago and it was working fine again for a couple hours but eventually the ride control stopped again. After checking the fuse it was different because the fuse didn’t blow. Now when I engage the ride control as I’m driving I hear the relay clicking every time it seems like the ride control should engage. So as I’m driving over bumps the relay is constantly clicking as it seems like it’s trying to engage the Hydraulics but nothing happens with the loader boom. No movement in it at all. For demonstration purposes the same clicking can be heard when the ride control is turned on and I lift the boom and stop it fast the relay clicks as well. Any idea where this is coming from? As for the ride control test when I lift the front of the backhoe with the bucket and turn the ride control on I get no movement what so ever.