There are 6 about 3/8" screws all along the outside of the windshield posts: any one know what they were for?
I think they hold the sheet of steel the windows are mounted in, to the structural upright of the ROPS. Why is the cab painted John Deere green ?
I agree with Tinkerer but I can check this weekend when I am at my machine. Why is your CAT green?
Lights? Mirrors?
I like green, JD-Green happens to be very close to grass color.
They prolly can hold mirrors on, but they certainly appear to hold the cab enclosure on the ROPS. Welding it to the ROPS is most likely prohibited and, makes the cab enclosure easy to replace if it were damaged.
With a single 3/8" screw/bolt having a tensile strength of around 10,000 lbs and shear strength being typically 60% of tensile strength, 12 screws like this would 'seem' to be overkill. At one point before deciding that maybe I should find out their purpose I almost just discarded them...
about green, try Message ID: on alt.comp.hardware 2022-Jun-26
Please explain what those two websites have has to do with your original question.
The cited usenet article explains that green is easy on the eyes (corollary to the question raised about "why green?"). It's one of many reasons actually.
Either vandalism guards or optional equipment
Maybe to support a substantial grill for use in a quarry?
@towbar I was at my 426 yesterday and I was looking at the bolts you asked about. They screw into the frame but do not hold anything. As was posted above they must be for accessories.
The Caterpillar parts book would likely solve the mystery.
Not really. I can see the bolts in the Operator Platform section but it does not say anything except "bolt". I think @heymccall hit the nail on the head.
My money goes on serious lighting support (as per heymccall) for machines working shifts in the dark OR equally serious driver-protection grill for machines working in a quarry. What year is YOUR rig? I will have some other questions in other threads. Mine is a 1987 made in England (I rebuilt its Perkins a few years back).